Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dracaena marginata tricolor leaf problem

Posted by tsquare425 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 1:10

I have a nice 6 foot tall dracaena marginata tricolor in my living room. I've had it for well over a year in the same spot with no issues other than some mealy bugs. I have recently been observing white bands form on the top two heads of the tree. The bands have no color and the leaf is slightly deformed in the area. First there was one on one head, then two, then a second head got it. On the second head, the whole growing bud thing is deformed at the whitened area.
Does anyone know why these bands are forming? What can I do? They seem to be spreading!

Some additional info if it matters: Plant is in a bright day lit room and receives a little bit of direct sunlight during summer. soil pH: 6-6.5. Watered once a week. Room temp varies 65-85. Rest of the plant looks perfectly healthy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dracaena marginata tricolor leaf problem

That's a lot of room temperature variance. Powdery mildew?

o

Looks like something is taking an occasional nibble while the leaves are still small, bunched together, causing a deformity at the same spot in each affected leaf. I'm not sure what does that, I see it on my plants occasionally but have assumed it happened while they were outside, something that took a few bites and flew away.

Otherwise, from what I can see in this pic, your plant is amazingly beautiful and happy-looking! Love those perky, colorful stripes!

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 22:14

Banding like that on the foliage of dracaena is most often associated with chill injury. Any chance the plant got too cold this past winter? Is it sited where it will get cold drafts?

Al

o

I agree with purpleinopp!
Looks like something has damaged the leaves while they were still forming. Maybe even a chill, as Al suggests.
If you had mealy bugs before, maybe that's the reason?
It can be hard to pin these things down but overall your plant looks really nice.

o

That happened to mine when i picked it up and it hit the ceiling, bend the new growth tip. All the leaves that came off of it for a time had that bruising to the leaves. Still waiting on the darn thing to grow taller so those leaves will naturally fall off!

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 7:38

I'll link you to a commercial production guide for dracaenas. You might want to read the entire guide, but at least scroll down to where it lists physiological problems under chill injury.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Dracaena info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here