Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fandog

Branching ficus elastica

fandog
10 years ago

I recently pruned my ficus to get it to branch. Unfortunately, it appears only a leaf is sprouting and will just continue with one branch right below my cut. What did i do wrong?

Comments (11)

• fandog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a photo

• fandog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Before anyone tells me the leaves need wiped off to avoid clogging the pores, I know.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

If you were expecting new buds to form at every leaf axil, you'll be disappointed. It's normal for a woody plant to redirect growth to the next lowest axil.....not all the way up and down the stem. :-(

What would normally be suggested is to cut the plant off low on the trunk, then make stem cuttings from the top part separately. Or, on Ficus elastica, air layer the main stem fairly low. You'll grow a new root system for the new cutting before removing it from the mother plant. Once that rooted stem cutting has been severed, the mother plant will branch just below the cut.

I'm not going to scold you about clogged stomata.....but you're not getting off scott free! Most of the breathing pores (stomata or stomates) are located on the bottom surface, not the top. The reason for this is functional....clogging would be too much of a problem!

However, what that dust coating IS doing is hindering photosynthesis by covering up the chlorophyll containing chloroplasts. That can reduce the effectiveness of sunlight.

Is this plant so big and heavy that it can't be given a monthly shower outside......or in the shower? I can't tell by the picture. Who knows? You might get more branching response if your plant can benefit from more light.

• fandog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wasnt expecting new buds at every leaf axil, but I thought the tip pruning would result in new branching growth. Im new to the forum, but im suprised at how obnoxious so many people are on here with there answers. I didnt ask you anything about propagation, so why are you so arrogantly skewing the topic just so you can sound like you read a textbook. My plant obviously didnt branch in the regard im asking about. If this is what i intended, why the hell would i have chopped off the top? Actually, you remind me of half the college credits ive earned: use a few key words and pretend like you know everything and then vote democrat. Regardless, dont patronize me, im smarter than you and just wanted decent advice. Instead, you broadly described an obvious answer and were way off topic.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Are you in bad mood or what?

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    10 years ago

They were helping you out, and giving solutions on how to make your plant healthy. And Rizo said that most woody plants would branch out on the most topmost axil. And that if you pruned down lower you could get more branching out. And told how to propagate the plant as a back up copy of the plant or how ever you wanted to do with it. We were simply helping you out with the answer and giving more options.
    Grant

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Hilarious....absolutely hilarious.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Wow, feeling a bit hostile are we?

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Yes, please dont make the same mistakes I did. Exept I didnt directly cause arguments like that. Calm down. :-)

• fandog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was being facetious everyone relax.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

1. facetious. To make an attempt at being funny, while being sarcastic at the same time.

I see, I would think of it more as cruel humor

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022