Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 1:46

Hi my name is Azhure, and I have 6 plants! They are a

chinese jade plant
peace lily
cyclamen
flame flower
syngonium
croton

I only started this plant craze last spring / summer, so i haven't seen how my plants cope in winter yet. Winter has arrived now and it gets to around 25 degrees outside at night, so i'm guessing maybe 45-50 degrees in the house at most?

Can you advise whether this might hurt some of my plants, especially if I put them near windows (the panes are all frosted over in the mornings). some, like the peace lily and flame flower are naturally tropical, so i'm worried! I also realise that cyclamens like the cold, and I have it close to a door so it can get a whiff of cold air when it opens. Is that ok?

thank you, I look forward to hearing from people on this forum!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help keep my plants alive in Winter!

Azhure,
I have houseplants year-round, and it gets to 30 below here sometimes. I keep my plants near lamps(regular table lamps), using compact fluorescent(spiral)bulbs. They don't necessarily thrive, but they do ok through the winter. You want to hold back on fertilizing during the winter as this is a dormant time for most plants, starting them back on a feeding schedule in the spring. Some do well all year inside, like African Violets, Spider Plant, and a few I will put out in nicer weather, but not full sun for the summer...Tradescantia(Wandering Jew), Swedish Ivy, Philodendron. I also have over wintered hot pepper plants this way. Hope this helps.

o

"I also realise that cyclamens like the cold, and I have it close to a door so it can get a whiff of cold air when it opens. Is that ok?"

Probably not. That air's a little TOO cold, and irregular frigid drafts are hard on plants.

You might want to invest in a cheap humidifier. That will help things a LOT, getting the humidity up.

o

FYI:

Cyclamens sometimes go dormant during winter, their leaves yellow & then drop & the plant looks awful. I've had this happen & have seen the same for my sister. I no longer try to grow this (I only grow indoors).

o

how do you stand a 45-50* house!? the plants would probably take it bettter than me if I was in that situation! How did everything turn out? Did you at least buy a space heater. if not for your plants, but yourself :)

o

Your plants will be fine, as long as their soil is kept on the 'dry side' if the indoor temperatures are truly @ 45-50, and not any lower than that.

I have many plants near my windows, and as long as they're at least a few inches away, they never incur any damage, (unless it gets well below zero outdoors.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here