Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Id of plant please

Posted by wormix none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 3:05

Hi,

In my office we have a number of plants dotted around the building. One of them hasd a colleague absolutely obsessed and i fear he is going to steal it any day now if i cant find out what it is.

Can anyone help - photo attached.

It looks a lot like a coconut, but has multiple stems, with only one large leaf at the end of each stem. Also not coconut at the bottom.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Gareth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Id of plant please

It's the classic Aspidistra (Cast-Iron plant of Victorian times). Beginning to be sold again after decades of unavailability. Quite cold hardy too btw. I planted mine outside a few years ago, where this subtropical evergreen is fine with winter snow and ice. Below zone 7, better as a 'houseplant'.

This post was edited by njoasis on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 7:12

o

Agreed. That plant looks very nice. Whenever I see these in people's yards, they are usually yellow/brown, ratty - if I'm equating your plant with the same landscape entities.

o

I've heard of people spraypainting them green when they die....crazy huh? lol

o

No more crazy than painting the roses red!

o

LOL Good point! :)

o

Who paints roses? And why? lol

o

Hi Toni!

My guess would be the people selling them do it to "pretty" them up or something,thereby making them harder to resist for the buyer. I remember seeing the most incredibly BLUE phal orchids at the grocer's plant section,and my reaction was "that just CAN'T be right". So I visited briefly with the salesperson and she told me they'd been airbrushed.

Sneaky! :)

o

Worm...Your office plant, Aspidistra/Cast Iron is one of the nicest I'd ever seen.

It looks tall. What's its height?

Hey Asleep. I've seen painted and glittered Poinsettias and Orchids at HD...HD is doing the same with succulents. Absurd.
Regarding roses, they don't need a paint brush. Each rose has its own special color.
Wouldn't paint, or whatever they use, harm a plant?

o

Hi, thanks for all your replies - much appreciated.

It is a nice plant - I think that's why Paolo in the office keeps threatening to steal it! its around 1.2m tall.

Ta

o

Wormix, they are easy to find in this part of the US but I've never shopped for plants abroad. Has your coworker looked for one?

Toni, the queen is painting the roses red (or ordering that such be done) in Alice in Wonderland, a classic literary reference (chapter 8) that has found its' way into popular lexicon as a metaphor about life.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here