Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unknown type of plant

Posted by lee80903 colorado (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 3:52

I stuck it outside for a few days and some leaves had burn will it recover or do i need to take cuttings and start new plant thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unknown type of plant

Hard to tell from your pic, but I think that's a Philodendron. Think it wants bright indirect light.

I'd leave it in some shade for a week & water it, let it have some time to recover.

I don't think it's half as damaged as you seem to think, just give it some time.

o

Agreed, it's an infant, (a very vigorous-looking one, nice!) no material there suitable for cuttings that I can see.

o

I 3rd Pirate Girl and Purple's comments.

Your Philodendron reddened, but I don't see actual sunburn.

Philo's are better suited indoors, or in a super-duper shady spot outside..Under an awning, etc.
A tree won't previde much shade..
My Orchid leaves burned in the shadiest spot..under a tree, near tall bushes, and under a shelf tier.

Toni

o

Likely a variety of Philodendron erubescens.

o

Hey there Asleep ITG,

Not forgotten (or deliberately avoided); haven't had a chance to respond further ;>)

o

Hey Karen...

Just got here after editing my last post on that thread(not that it hasn't been noticed by now). Thanks for not giving me the cold shoulder. Thought for sure you'd never speak to me again.

Anyhoo those stems were reminiscent of my own erubescens so I figured I'd help out(if in fact it was at all helpful lol).

o

It was full of leaves when i got it till i put it outside. Some of the leaves burn and discolored and wilted. It seem to start growing new leaves now. thanks

o

It was full of leaves when i got it till i put it outside. Some of the leaves burn and discolored and wilted. It seem to start growing new leaves now. thanks

o

It does look like my P. erubescens. I have several of them, ranging from full sun to deeper shade. Those in full sun and brightest light grow the fastest. Those in heavier shade are quite slow. The plant is reddish in colour but new growth is a deep dark red. Plants growing out in the sun are okay. But you should never take shade grown plants and put them straight into full sun. They need to be acclimatised gradually. These will recover from a severe burn (provided stems aren't fully cooked) but it can set them back a long way.

o

Thanks for that heads up Tropic!

Mine's in a pretty shaded area at the moment...I think I will sneak it up on a bit more light. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here