Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwatered asparagus plumosa

Posted by plumosa (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 08 at 7:42

Hello. I'm new to the forum and chose it because it seems active.

My problem is that my overzealous boyfriend has overwatered my asparagus plumosa, kept as an indoor potted plant for over 20 years. I love this plant and want to save it. The pot its in doesn't allow for drainage, so I made some holes near the bottom to drain out the excess water. This water smelled rancid so I followed by trying to flush it out a bit with fresh water. The water that drained out smelled better and now I'm hoping to let the poor thing dry out to normal.

The plant is having a massive die-off of leaves and some stems. Should I repot it or leave it be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwatered asparagus plumosa

Once the root tips have rotted, the plant can't absorb water. This is what has happened to your Asparagus fern. I'd be tempted to cut off as much of the damaged root system as needed...at least until you cut into healthy, white roots. If you cut sharply, rather than mash the root system, new roots will re-grow very quickly.

It might be too late for your plant, but you really can't lose anything by trying. You might even give it a chance to recover.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here