Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Croton Leaves Yellowish

Posted by dboh none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 8:17

They're also a bit misshaped and are getting a rusty-ish pigmentation on their undersides. Does anyone know what this means, and if it's something not good, would cutting the stem back to the next set of leaves permanently ruin the look of the plant?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Croton Leaves Yellowish

Hard to say w/out a pic as Croton leaves are variable as to both shape & color. Really can't say w/out seeing what it looks like.

o

Dboh..Crotons are prone to spider mites, but as Pirate Girl stated, it's hard to tell without a picture.

Check thoroughly for fine webbing between stems and underneath leaves.

Mites suck foliage, so leaves look pale and deformed.
I hope mites aren't the problem, but if they have found a home on your Croton, it's best to treat ASAP.

Hey Pirate Girl... Toni

o

Have you recently changed the light/conditions your croton is in? Mine had some misshapen leaves from last summer when I put it out in a lot of sun. And if its getting too much light it could be getting sunburn which could explain the coloring. A picture would help to determine what it is for sure.

o

• Posted by dboh none (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 8:58

Thanks for the replies.

Lousy camera and lighting conditions, but hopefully this picture will give you an idea of both the leaf shape and discoloration. The set of leaves are about a month old.

I did have an issue with spider mites. Noticed some webbing on another plant, whisked it away to another room. Sprayed all my plants when I noticed some small crawling things on this croton as well. I haven't seen any critters or webs since I sprayed a couple of weeks ago.

I was getting ready to take a stem cutting. Would I be able to lop off these leaves and go ahead with the cutting or not?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here