Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stewartsjon

Sansevieria Ayo Crown

stewartsjon
10 years ago

Anyone seen these before? I ordered Sansevieria Trifasciata off my supplier's price-list and got these.

Apart from the nice red fringe, they are growing in a spiral.

Bit more expensive (UK ã5.50, usually about ã3.00) but really nice.

Comments (14)

• teisa
    10 years ago

Those are really pretty! I love them!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I've never seen that Sans before. Like it! A while back, someone started a thread on the Sans forum about fattest leaves. Might be a candidate.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Purple,
    That was me that started that thread. And yes I was beaten by Woodnative who came into the contest with a Sans. Masoniana which is what the above look like. My widest Sans. tri. ~ Futura was 4 inches. 4 inches is the minium for these kind. I now own 3 of these mosters.
    Stush

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Never thought I'd go gaga over a sans but the rippling effect is like light on water.

I'm stunned!

At some point I will have to get my hands on a slice of leaf for the terrarium...I wonder if they have it anywhere near me...

Thanks for giving me a fresh look at sans SJ,I should look into more of them but have avoided it for fear of the compulsion to procure as many different kinds as possible(and the rest of my collection is out of control lol).

Cheers

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hey Asleep,

Then whatever you do, DON'T come on over to the Sans. forum so we can't enable you further.

I too thought Masoniana, given the size shape of the leaf. Strikingly handsome, great find!!

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

Do they naturally grow like that or was something done to them to make them look like that?? If it's a type of Sansevieria, I'd love to get my hands on one of those!!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Karen,

I've peeked in there before and I ran back out pretty quick.

It's like they were calling to me.

...but now that you mention it,another peek couldn't hurt,right? ;)

• woodnative
    10 years ago

Neat effect.....................they do look like individual leaves of masoniana, stuck into a pot. I am sure they are rooted and will put up an offset......looks like they may already be doing that!!

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Gorgeous, but their mix looks like pure peat from here -- I just don't understand why anyone (guessing a greenhouse) would pot them up in that. I could guess it's to be light-weight for shopping, but then I wonder how is it they don't rot?

10 years ago

Stush, if I had kept looking at that discussion, I'd probably know that. Like Asleep, I'm likely to want the noticeably different Sans I might see, but my "only buy in person or obtain through trade" rule makes me pretty safe. Maybe I'm afraid I'll find myself panhandling openly, in the undignified throes of desire...

PG, I wonder that every time I buy a plant. The 150+ succulents I've bought so far this year have all been in peat, Crassulas, Senecios, Lithops, Sedums, Grapto-whatevers. It's awful, especially for a serial overwaterer who's always in recovery! They must be moved or I will kill them for sure, not to mention they blow over/around if one lets them get as dry as they should be in that stuff - which is way more dry than I can take, from the color of it in the pic. Remember that Moonshine I had that took almost 3 months to dry out? This stuff probably actually works well for the grower, practically never needs water, and nobody there loving them to death anyway.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

We need fast draining if and only if we are growing in our house. With limited light, heat and air movement. Except for a draft which is deadly. Water is not a problem as long as they are in a heated greenhouse. So the peat works fine for them. But in our dryer, colder homes, wet roots mean rotted roots. When in Florida, I saw them in clay soil and wet and loving it. it was warm and that made the difference. My house, even at 62 degrees is way too cold for them. I plan to put them up in mini green houses in my basement thru the winter months.

• stewartsjon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are in that really fibrous stuff, whatever that's called.

It seems to be an article of faith on here that compost choice is really important, but I really don't find it so.

We keep all our stuff in sealed containers and manage to keep most things alive by moderating the watering.

Attached is a pic of what I used the Ayo Crowns for: a mixed 'desert' bed (as we call them) in a junior school (6-11 age group). Usually no one takes much notice but it was really gratifying having all these kids going "wow, nice plants" and asking what they were all called.

There's 50-120cm high Sans Laurentii, plus S. Moonshine, the Ayo Crowns, S. Hahnii, Crassula Ovata and Neoregelias in there.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

What nice looking beds, how exciting for you to have the kids notice AND be interested. I'll bet that feels great, well done!

10 years ago

That IS cool, Jon! I like it too!