Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phytoro

Gnats, the umpteenth question.

PhytoRo
10 years ago

I have an issue with gnats. Pretty common, I know, but I need advice because I really donôt know why they just donôt go away. I think they came because of my Peace Lily, from the store. At least I started noticing them after I got that plant (along with ants, thank you, but thatôs another kind of nightmare). I repotted the plant, and sure enough, I think I overwatered it, because I had a huge amount of gnats a few days after. Since I donôt have a fan in the room where I have my plants, I took them all outside and they have been out for three weeks or so. Itôs been quite breezy, and I only water the plant when I notice it drooping, so I think (and this is where I may be wrong) that the soil gets pretty dry if the plant starts to droop. Still, all the plants that are outside seem to have gnats around them. What am I doing wrong? Isnôt the soil dry enough if the poor plant starts to droop? How can I improve the soil? I was thinking of changing the soil and adding perlite for better drainage/areation. Anybody can recommend a ratio that would work?
I appreciate all advice and ideas!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations