Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My diffenbachia

Posted by a1pha_fema1e 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 8:44

I downsized the pot my diffenbachia was in, it was in a HUGE pot cause it had toppled over into a U shape and it was so weak that I didn't want to cut it. So I put it in a big pot and let the bottom of the U in the soil. A few months later I lifted it up and there were new roots :D So I cut it but then it wasn't as happy. After browsing this forum I learned the pot was too big and the MG soil wasn't the best. I still had to use MG soil, but downsized the pot so it wouldn't take so long to drain. And really, the roots on even the original stem were pretty small.

So we'll see how it likes that. Also, should I chop the stem back more? How long does it take for a new one to start? I've done it before but it was so long ago that I don't remember how long it took. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My diffenbachia

They grow along the ground once they get some weight to them. Mine, which is currently about nine feet tall with a 1-1/4" thick stem is tied to a stick to hold it up. otherwise it snakes along the floor. I've seen them growing as weeds like this too in Costa Rica. Your pot and soil had nothing to do with it.

You might see new grow in a couple of weeks. Chopping it up will give you more stems to play with but otherwise it won't make a difference.

o
RE: My diffenbachia

Really? I had no idea, the original ones I had grew straight up with nice thick stems. But then I got sick and barely took care of them for a long time. This was the only survivor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here