Houzz Logo Print
saleh14

overwatered cactus

saleh14
10 years ago

Hello
recently I saw my cactus rotting , maybe overwatering

my question is after I cut it and left it to callouse ,
I plant it in pure sand , so should I water it now ? or waiting until root appears ?
and where to put it ?( shade , or direct sun)?
It is mammillaria sp

thank you

Comments (11)

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Maybe ? I wonder why does one MAYBE anything when they know what they did or didn't do ?.

If suggested to you is bury a good part of it in the sand someone else will get all upset and say something different about how sand doesn't allow all sorts of stuff that's suppose to happen happen in container growing.

Here's a 2 cent mystery. Maybe you can figure it out .
    When or if buried in sand is one cacti you wont be able to see or know if you have roots unless you keep lifting it out of sand and burying it back in. Naturally this isn't a good idea to keep peeking in and disturbing the cacti yet......

If you do water the sand that has a MAM type cacti in it there are no roots to take the water up which may or maynot cause more rot to the remaining part or base in the sand.

When or if you do get roots there will be no water for them either and remaining cacti might or might not dry rot.

it's 50 50 your choice think you can save it or MAYBE even replace it ?

• Will07
    10 years ago

Plant it and don't water for 2-3 weeks. Put it in diffused sun until its established.

• saleh14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mrlike2u
    Thank you for all advices
    I use (MAYBE) since I am not expert and I am new to cactus I don't know about how to care of them . But I read some information about that.

Ok it is overwatering and the word (MAYBE) just to tell you what is my thought . I can't tell that I am sure that is overwatering.
    Anyway and normally rotted cactus is due to overwatering and I know that . but (MAYBE) just a word it is not necessary
    And when we talk about something we may or maynot know is this just like what we think such as somebody asks you to identify a plant sp , and after asking , he writes that maybe it is dracena for example . In that case you can tell him this is right or wrong and what is the correction ? that's all :)

Thank you again . I am really happy to write to you :) and sorry if my English little bad , maybe ...

• christine1950
    10 years ago

saleh14, there is no "MAYBE" about it, mrlike2u is very rude to people, I've learned to ignore his posts, there are a few other rude people here and you will learn who they are in time. Will07 gave you great advice.. You may want to un-check the box so your wont have to read any more from mr-not-like remarks about your cactus... LOL

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

saleh

you did get good advice from Will; also, why don't you check out Cacti & Succulents forum. You'll find lot of good info there - unless you did already.

Rina

• brodyjames_gw
    10 years ago

Saleh,

I would not use sand at all. Think of how a sand castle is made and you will understand why. Mix cactus soil and perlite in at least a 50/50 ratio. You can either plant the plant or leave it sitting on top of the mixture. Mist it with a sprayer, don't water it. When you see roots, you may then plant it (if laid on top of mix) and then water it, making sure you see water coming out of the drainage hole(s). No sips! Good luck and let us know what happens.

Nancy

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

saleh14 if you MAYBE over watered MAYBE you dont have rot MAYBE as you may cause MAYBE wont fix your problem.

Christine; have any sound advice on cacti or just judgements of people you dont know ?

This post was edited by mrlike2u on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 11:44

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

She said you were rude to people. She didn't say that YOU were rude but describing your behavior...Thus she wasn't really judging YOU. See that?

Kinda scared now to ever use "maybe" in a post. lol

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Mr Likes! Boy do they not know you and your sarcastic witt on this forum?

People, he's not rude - so much as he likes to play with words. Sometimes it comes off seeming gruff. The first time I met him (and I was leery to meet him!) - I called him a grumpy old man. :) And, it got a LOT better from there.

He's not as bad as he may present himself, if you step back, and take his words with a grain of salt or two- (like salt n pepper hair) - he's got some wisdom mixed in. (Maybe) ;)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

"Christine; have any sound advice on cacti or just judgements of people you dont know?"

I see your point.

That's a witty thing to say then.

...I learn something new every day.

• saleh14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello
    Friends,please!
    First I would like to thank everyone helped me

Will07
    I would like to apologize since I didn't see your post
    and thank you :)

asleep
    (scared now to ever use "maybe" in a post. lol)you make me laugh cause that's what I would say too ..

Please my friends don't make it difficult we are here to give help and info to each other , and I think that everyone here has love for plants and hence nice feelings because I consider plants the cutest creatures so you will not love them unless you are just cute like them .

Saleh