Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have white fuzzies on my plants

Posted by newspaperlady AB (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 9:17

I bought a beautiful spider plant and about a week later white fuzzy like things Started to appear on it tried to wipe them off but they came back what are they? Any help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have white fuzzies on my plants

I believe those are mealy bugs!!!!!!!!!!! They sap bugs from plants and leave honewdew, A sticky liquid whitch inturn leads to sooty mold. The best thing I can think of is to run water over the entire plant in the shower. This will dislodge them but bnot kill all of them. Hopefully someone will come for better ideas. Whait until hopefulauthor sees this.

I have never heard of insect pest on spider plant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Mealybugs are an equal opportunity pest. Trust me, showering your plant will not accomplish much at all. Is this plant outside or inside?

Have you carefully examined the plant for other pests......such as spider mites?

o

I agree rhizo, but i believe that a stong jet of water can help alittle

o

If that were my plant, I'm sorry to say I would have thrown it out. Mealybugs are not easy to get rid of! And spider plants are easy to replace. I have had thrips on spiderplants, so they do get pests.

You could also buy tablets with insecticides to put in the soil, it could be worth a try. Just keep the infested plant away from other plants, especially if you grow it indoors.

o

I always had good results with horticulture oil or neem oil. Still not going to get rid of ALL the mealies but defiantly help control them. I'd agree with pelargonium and toss it though since its a pretty heavy infestation and if you haven't become to attached to the plant!

o

I'm on the "toss" side when an infestation is this bad. Spider plants are extremely common and very easily replaceable. Just avoid the place where you bought this one.

A small number of mealies can be controlled with mists of rubbing alcohol mixed at the rate of one part alcohol to three or four parts water. Keep the solution in a spray bottle and apply every three or four days.

o

I agree, discarding the plant is the best strategy. The infestation is just too severe. Best to cut your losses before they contaminate another plant. I would toss the whole thing, pot and all.

Christopher

o

• Posted by tomr Z6 NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 21:31

Sorry, I'd toss it too. Sometimes you just have to. I lost numerous orchids to Mealies over the years. Nasty little ^&&^%%"s !

o

So those are what mealies look like. I had no Idea what they looked like until now. I used to see these all the time on some of the bushes at the first house I lived at.
Thank goodness I never seen them on any of my house plants.

o

I would just toss it

o

If you feel experimental and you haven't tossed it yet as a last resort I can't help being curious about something I'd read online.

Place the plant in a plastic bag that you can seal.

put a moth ball in there with the plant and seal for 24 hours.

Would love to know if it works. :)

o
...and besides...

...If you were going to throw it out anyway,what's the harm,right? :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here