Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newspaperlady_gw

I have white fuzzies on my plants

newspaperlady
10 years ago

I bought a beautiful spider plant and about a week later white fuzzy like things Started to appear on it tried to wipe them off but they came back what are they? Any help is appreciated.

Comments (12)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I believe those are mealy bugs!!!!!!!!!!! They sap bugs from plants and leave honewdew, A sticky liquid whitch inturn leads to sooty mold. The best thing I can think of is to run water over the entire plant in the shower. This will dislodge them but bnot kill all of them. Hopefully someone will come for better ideas. Whait until hopefulauthor sees this.

I have never heard of insect pest on spider plant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Mealybugs are an equal opportunity pest. Trust me, showering your plant will not accomplish much at all. Is this plant outside or inside?

Have you carefully examined the plant for other pests......such as spider mites?

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I agree rhizo, but i believe that a stong jet of water can help alittle

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

If that were my plant, I'm sorry to say I would have thrown it out. Mealybugs are not easy to get rid of! And spider plants are easy to replace. I have had thrips on spiderplants, so they do get pests.

You could also buy tablets with insecticides to put in the soil, it could be worth a try. Just keep the infested plant away from other plants, especially if you grow it indoors.

• Will07
    10 years ago

I always had good results with horticulture oil or neem oil. Still not going to get rid of ALL the mealies but defiantly help control them. I'd agree with pelargonium and toss it though since its a pretty heavy infestation and if you haven't become to attached to the plant!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I'm on the "toss" side when an infestation is this bad. Spider plants are extremely common and very easily replaceable. Just avoid the place where you bought this one.

A small number of mealies can be controlled with mists of rubbing alcohol mixed at the rate of one part alcohol to three or four parts water. Keep the solution in a spray bottle and apply every three or four days.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

I agree, discarding the plant is the best strategy. The infestation is just too severe. Best to cut your losses before they contaminate another plant. I would toss the whole thing, pot and all.

Christopher

• tomr
    10 years ago

Sorry, I'd toss it too. Sometimes you just have to. I lost numerous orchids to Mealies over the years. Nasty little ^&&^%%"s !

• kuroc
    10 years ago

So those are what mealies look like. I had no Idea what they looked like until now. I used to see these all the time on some of the bushes at the first house I lived at.
    Thank goodness I never seen them on any of my house plants.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I would just toss it

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

If you feel experimental and you haven't tossed it yet as a last resort I can't help being curious about something I'd read online.

Place the plant in a plastic bag that you can seal.

put a moth ball in there with the plant and seal for 24 hours.

Would love to know if it works. :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

...If you were going to throw it out anyway,what's the harm,right? :)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner