Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning crusty pots??

Posted by terrene 5b MA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 9:23

Hi guys, I don't post in this forum much, but I've got lots of Houseplants, and enjoy lurking here and looking at the pictures.

I've got some nice ceramic pots that have gotten crusty and stained from previous use. Some of the crusty stuff is very hard to get off. I've done some searching here and container forum, but can't seem to find any threads on this subject.

Does anybody have any tips about how to wash their pots, and what kind of cleaners to use, to get off the crusty stuff, and remove staining??

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning crusty pots??

Have you tried using a lime-scale remover?

o

Hi Purple, no I haven't but I've got some of the CLR in a spray bottle. Will try that, thanks!

o

Bleach is supposed to work..Depending on the material, some pots can go in the dish washer. Toni

o

Well the CLR worked great and removed almost all the crusty material very easily. I say "almost all" because there was a little very stubborn brown crusty stuff on some places, like the water line near the tray, that didn't come off. It seems that requires scraping it off with a blade.

I didn't use any bleach, but I have a couple glazed ceramic pots that are not glazed on the inside and that acquires a brown staining from the soil. Bleach might have worked on that.

Thanks again for the ideas.

o

I would not use bleach on UNGLAZED terra cotta, it's likely to absorb some of it (unglazed clay is porous, therefore absorbent).

Not sure the plants would appreciate it.

If it's just discoloration on the inside of the pot, other than scrubbing it well, I wouldn't bother more than that, not like the plant will know or any one will see it.

o

While acids (like vinegar or CLR) can be used to remove mineral deposits, and bleach can be used to remove organics, you should never mix the two. Doing so can release toxic chlorine gas.

^Just in case anyone was thinking about doubling up their cleaning power.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here