Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hem_krish

How to undo mayo leaf polishing

hem_krish
14 years ago

I read somewhere that mayo can be used to polish leaves instead of commercial leaf shine products. I tried it on one plant with spectacular results! I got carried away and polished my office and home plants. The ones in the office are still doing great but I made the mistake of taking some of my home plants outside where it gets dusty. I belatedly realized that mayo is a powerful dust magnet and I now have dust and even a couple of bugs (ugh) stuck to my beautiful pothos leaves. I think a few of the leaves got baked in the sun too. What can I do to get the dried mayo off? I tried soaping the leaves off with a mild detergent mixed in water, but that didnt work. I'm scared to try something stronger. Is there a better way to do this?

Comments (13)

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

Try giving them a very LONG warm shower.

Use warm water. (Warm enough to remove the oils in the mayo but not hot enough to overheat the plants.)

Don't rush it. May have to repeat.

Just put them in the tub or shower.

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

I'm sorry I have no suggestions, have heard the mayo polish to be a problem & attract bugs.

For the future, pls. know that most of us here DO NOT USE anything like this nor do we believe in leaf polishing. Some of us simply wipe off the dust w/ a moist cloth or sponge. Others give the plants a shower from time to time, but many of us believe leaf shine to be dangerous to the plants & (entirely unnecessary).

In nature there is no leaf shine or leaf polish; some leaves are shiny & some are not, that's it.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

I would think that gently rubbing each leaf (like you did when you applied the mayo) gently with a moist, soft cloth would do the trick. Actually, it sounds like you slathered the mayo on with a knife, now that I re-read your post, lol.

Just kidding. Really....the wiping should do it.

• hem_krish
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all! I'm gonna try the showering / wiping asap - I hope I get the gunk off!
    Lesson learnt pirate girl - I look at images of plants on google and they look so healthy and shiny that I wanted to achieve the same effect on my plants too. I guess what I am seeing now is the darker side...

• nanw_4wi
    14 years ago

LOL! Good discovery, albert!

Baby wipes work really well for cleaning leaves, and may help you in your effort to get the mayo off, perhaps after the 'warm shower' suggested?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

Hellmann's Mayo Remover

• watergal
    14 years ago

Wild guess here, but some people use diluted lemon juice to clean orchid leaves. I wonder if that might work?

I used to work for an indoor plant company that used aerosol leaf shine frequently. It never hurt the plants (unless you overdid it on a couple specific varieties) and actually did a really good job at smothering any pests that might be lurking. I was always taught that leaf shine is Evil Incarnate, but that was not my experience while working there.

• hem_krish
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh the mayo didnt hurt the plants any per se. Its just that there is a lot of dust thats stuck onto my plants coz I took them outside where its dusty. The polished ones in my office still look great even after a month. I would recommend mayo to anyone who wants to use a natural leaf shine product - I just realized its not for me.

• Lynn Grooms
    8 years ago

I would try vinegar..put some on cotton ball then wipe the leaves off with it then put luke warm water in a spray bottle spray leaves wipe off with paper towel..good luck may take a couple washings.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

lol Lynn...hopefully they got cleaned long time ago - this thread is from 2009...

• Lynn Grooms
    8 years ago

Wow long time for thread to still be posted lol

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    8 years ago

I noted that too, but thought, "Oh well". Prolly someone who just signed up (I didn't check). But look - the thread has been revived - 3 posts in a few days!! ;-)

Al