Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Who's in summer denial?

Just a few months ago, I was one of those people with way too many plants crammed in much too little space. But here I am, mid-summer, collecting more plants, creating more plants. Yes, frost helped reduce the numbers a bit, and I've paired/tripled/quadrupled many plants into shared pots, but I still think the overall number has gone up. I do have stacks of empty pots, unusual at this time, but they're tiny pots I'd never use long-term anyway, so don't really count. Most of the recent acquisitions have been miniscule succulents that have gone into mini gardens, but many have found their way to additional pots...

Where do I think I'm going to put all of this when frost again threatens?

Who else is enjoying the bliss of summer denial? Are you buying, propagating, both?

Comments (22)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Hiya Purp!

I deny being in denial(go figure). the gross majority of the green guys are outside now but will have to come in again before ya know it. Problem is the ones I kept indoors are taking up half the room already...and they are the little ones...the big ones...I shudder to think where I could possibly fit another plant when the time comes for them to come back inside! :)

Spose I'll cross that bridge when I get there. :)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning Purple & Asleep,

I have the opposite problem. 'Although it's difficult.'

I'm attempting to reduce my collection. So far, I've contacted two local conservatories...no luck there.

What's next?

Guess, I'll read and watch the video regarding selling on Ebay. My only fear is, most plants are outside. What happens if ants are in soil?

Purple. Do you have empty pots because you've placed small plants in container garden settings? And in-ground?

Asleep.. You deny being in denial. ROFL.

My adding a plant/s bug hits me during winter..Go figure that.... :)

It's soooo hard going shopping and avoiding the plant section..So-so difficult.
    Before, while shopping, the first section I browsed was the plant dept. I swear, the plant dept pulls one towards to see which plants are available. Looking for one, rare, variegated greenery. So difficult.

Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the little pots are empty because the tiny plants that came in them are in bigger pots, and mini gardens. So still taking up as much space, if not more, even though many (pieces of them) now live at other people's houses.

Didn't even mention the denial about the plants I put in the ground that will die if I don't take cuttings or dig them up at some point that seemed like forever when I did that, but will be here in what seems like the blink of an eye.

"I deny being in denial..." Too funny!! Wish I could get there, sounds quite pleasant!

Toni, it sounds like you are one of the few sane people around here. Not that you went willingly, but kudos to you for gaining some measure of control, or at least recognition that you must gain control. I think your question would be worthy of its' own thread, if you are really able (and need help to) relieve yourself of some plants.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

mornin gang!

If you wanted to Toni,you could start a thread about free plants for postage. Bet a number of people here on GW would love to adopt a genuine Toni plant...and neater still they could send pics as their plants continue in their care so in a way it would be like they were still yours but without the upkeep. In time they may provide the insurance that a cutting could be shipped so if you wanted to start your plant over you'd have a clone of your original plant(when/if your ready).

Just a thought. :)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Purple, how many mini gardens did you create? I remember your thread about Shrunken plants, or some such name. :)

The last time I saw one of your mini gardens, you added beautiful, small plants and decorations.

Most plants that need new homes, 'oh feel so sad' are huge. Agaves. Pachypodiums. Aloes. Ming & Rabbit Ferns. Guess I have to find and buy a scale.
    Still need to order boxes but have to figure sizes. Then there's labels..oh brother, I'm tired thinking about it!

Asleep. Please read the post to Purple.

Toni Plant..lolol.

To be honest, I don't know where to begin. Dh is against this whole idea, but he doesn't help much either.
    He did carry my largest Jade outside. I thought he was going to have a heart attack! I got so darn scared.

I think, I'll have to divide larger plants. But succulents, like Pachypodium can't be divided..It too is very heavy.
    The Ming fern can be divided, but Rabbit is a challenge.

But, thanks for your help..To you and Purple. Toni

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's some of the pair/triple/quadruples I've made, trying to keep the number of pots to a less unreasonable number...

Callisia fragrans and repens, Tradescantia fluminensis, wax Begonia,

{{gwi:89215}}

Various Begonias and Tradescantias, Gibasis geniculata,

{{gwi:89216}}

Various plants that returned, and cuttings, trying to put lipstick on the pig of this fugly metal thing...,

{{gwi:89217}}

Cordyline fruticosa with Dracaena surculosa, Tradescantia zebrina,

{{gwi:89218}}

Little palm with Begonia, Impatiens, Alternanthera, Tradescantia zebrina, little piece of Thanksgiving cactus,

{{gwi:89219}}

Dracaena 'Janet Craig compacta' with Tradescantia zebrina,

{{gwi:89220}}

Toni, glad you like the mini gardens, thanks for the kind compliments! I put some updated pics a few minutes ago.

• delreytropical
    10 years ago

Just realized how little ive posted after march. Man oh man Have i been buying plants like crazy, the problem is im not planting them. I have many plants still in the container they came in and were having very hot days of 85+ humidity weather. If this doesnt stop ill still be planting annuals in august.

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

I've been collecting a lot of scented geraniums that I want to over winter and quite a few tender perennials that I really wanna try and over winter too to use next year, like my lotus vines and two clerodendrums that i got for a VERY good price (I have no idea what type they are since all the flowers are gone when I bought them) and quite a few others that are all new from buying and buying all spring and summer....and I keep thinking where in world am I gonna keep all these, I'm already low on room as it is....I may have to really think about keeping everything I wanted too....I know for a fact that the scented geraniums are staying no matter what, I have 8 scented (four which are very large) and three other unscented with beautiful leaves...and of course I keep buying and buying houseplants, I've decided that I'm only gonna buy a few that are on my want list only and just walk away from the rest, but it's requiring a lot of will power!!

Purple, are you still up for a trade (or me paying for postage) on those Callisia fragrans, I'd do just about anything to get my hands on one of those, they're on the top of my wish list, (not trying to push you though lol).

-FPT

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    had to show this pic of "square inch gardening" lol 6 inch pot in forground has 7 kinds lol gary

• delreytropical
    10 years ago

Yes! I love throwing everything left over in one pot, its beautiful by august when it just looks like a dense mini tropical jungle :D thats the look I always strive for

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Toni!!!

I know how you feel..

Most of my trees have been in three different areas.. keepers, maybes? and give away and another maybe... ok, four areas...

I have been trying to cut back on buying too! I have even cut back some of my larger Plumeria to give away cuttings to the group/ They love it, and i win too!

I love Pachys.. could you post your pics? i have two and they are small. when i heard you had a large one.. well i twitched..LOL.. could you post for me?

Thanks!!

Laura

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I have so many plants that many of them spend the winter with my friends. yet i still propagate more

Original Author
    10 years ago

Delrey, that's how I think of any pot with 2 or more plants, mini jungles - in captivity!

Gary, absolutely fantastic! Is the plant with flowers Chrysothemis pulchella? Looks like the bulbs I got by that name in trade a while back, from Hawaii, to make things more exotic and fun... another venue by which my collection is sneakily growing, enable, enable.

Go, Teen, Go! Somebody should want them and if not, it's free fun & education.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Purple..You're welcome...This morning I showed Dh your pics..He too is impressed.

Purp, I've potted various plants in individual containers. Many extras after pruning. However, extras now go in the garden as annuals.
    Even after planting dish gardens, there's still too many plants..

Your new plants are pretty. But please, don't tempt me. lol. j/k.

Asleep. I received emails. Most want cuttings. lol.

Del...I know what you mean. When you're feeling energetic, prepare your mediums and pots, then start repotting.
    Before you know it, your new plants will be in permanent homes..Watered/fertilized...
    Turn on music..Music usually ups my energy...:)

Gary, very pretty garden..I assume your plants remain outdoors year round?

Hey Laura,

How are you?

Soon you'll need 8 areas. :)
    Your Plumes must be huge by now..Are they flowering?

Do you find it upsetting giving up plants?
    Wait, oh cuttings..lol. A horse of a different color.

I have different Pachypodiums, but the smaller and one sown from seed will remain with me.

Last winter, I placed two large Pachys in shade..Normally, they're placed outside in May, weather permitting. But, I forgot to set them out, plus they're heavy, so they don't have as many leaves as usual.

P. lamerei

{{gwi:89221}}

P. geayi

{{gwi:89222}}

Both Pachys were purchased at HD as youngins'. About 7" or so. Who'd have thunk? lol.
    I wanted one of each variety. Duh.

Anyway, hope you're doing well, and when you have time please post pics of your Plumes.
    Did you ever get a varigated Plume? I still have my 'arrow,' indoors..Too afraid to place outside.
    Stranger, leaves variegation is more colorful in semi-shade. When in a sunnier location, foliage turns green.

Do you know the reason? Take care, Toni

Original Author
    10 years ago

Saturday I was busy combining existing plants, anybody who seemed lonely, needed a "too big" pot to stay upright, just eliminating excess pots taking up space...

Monstera, Epipremnum (Pothos) and Scindapsis cuttings, some rhizomatous Begonia chunks on top (look closely at the edges of the pot.)
    {{gwi:89223}}

Anthurium, Dacaena sanderiana, Tradescantia spathacea, Calathea ornata. They've been sitting adjacent for a while anyway.
    {{gwi:89224}}

Dracaena, Chlorophytum comosum (spider plant) I thought I'd killed, Maranta, more rhizomatous Begonia.
    {{gwi:89225}}

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago

Hey, hey,
    There's a way,
    Yard sales and flea markets,
    Got to start planning today.

• marquest
    10 years ago

Asleep........Deny being in denial. I love that one.

I am lucky that I have the space to bring in as many plants as my mind and money can buy. It is my physical ability to bring them all inside for the winter.

I have 3 free rooms on the lower level of my house that are heated and I never use other than to house plants in the winter. I guess really 2 not used one of them is the laundry room. They all have floor to ceiling windows so there is some natural light as much natural light that a Northerner can get in the winter.

Then there is my morning room that is 90% windows that I use in the winter to have plants around me when I am having my morning tea.

I have been thinking of setting up a savings to hire someone to bring the plants in for the winter. Just add that to my plant budget and maybe buy a few less plants to pump that budget up.

Yeah like that will happen. When I see a plant I like all reasons goes out my head. So I guess I am like Asleep I deny being in denial. ROFL. It did sound like a good plan though didn't it?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Hey Purp,..

That monstera looks great!

Has it attached any aerials to that support yet? =)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hey Purp,

Love all your plants, but your Monstera is exceptional!

Is your Anthurium the same plant you posted several months back? Possibly last winter, early sping??
    If so, I remember when it first bloomed. Are flowers, originals?

Subject of Posting line, 'Who's in summer denial?

IMO, once one is hooked, the habit is very hard to break.
    Like a smoker trying to quit or a druggie attempting to stop.

I still haven't posted plants on Ebay. Now that it's nearing August, wonder if it's too late.
    Today feels like autumn. That Halloween/going back to school sense.

Okay, said I wouldn't add more plants..Well, was tempted, so I bought a few African Violets and four succulents.

Plus replacements. 3 plants. Passionvine, Stephantis and variegated Clerodendrum.

Will more be added? I've wanted two plants 2-3 years. A certain Crassula and AV. Yes, I'd buy both.

But, honestly, this summer, very few new plants were purchased.
    I keep journals. When I buy a plant/s, each plant is listed in the month plant was purchased,, entry.
    Compared to previous years, 2013 is practially bare.

Caring for plants would be a lot easier if our basement didn't flood.
    Basement has 2 south and 2 north windows. Artificial lights could always be setup.
    But, the basement is out, so plants are placed on main floor and upstairs.

I can't believe it's the end of July..Seems I just brought plants out...soon it'll be time they come back in.
    I sometimes wonder, was it worth it???

Is it me or does anyone else feel time is flying?

Toni

• delreytropical
    10 years ago

Hi toni! I totally know how you feel with the autumn weather, it has been freakishly cooler around here, scary it did bring in thoughts of the fall and bringing in all these plants.

But we do have a good two months left right?

I feel like time is whizzing by, so much so I am already planning about next spring, go figure.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I remembered this discussion and don't see the reply I thought I'd put here. "...must'a got lost" Here's my late responses... I DO deny being in denial, which I also deny! Summer is when they sell the good plants, so it's the best time for it.

FW, that's cute! I love poppin' tags too.

My plants want to go to Marquest's house for winter. Wish I lived close enough to (make DH) help bring her plants in!

Asleep, thanks! It was attached when I got it... cheating? It was just there, never been to that store (but have been since!) I didn't crumble away as much old soil as I usually do for a repot, although I can tell it's firmly attached to the board. Unfounded paranoia is powerful stuff. It's lost 2-3 leaves since, they were tiny anyway. No other signs leaves preparing to depart, think that's good though it's not been long.

Thanks, Toni! But, as said above, I just got it recently. I haven't sunburned it yet, so that's something. You know I usually do that to a new plant. Yes, I only have 1 Anthurium. The flowers come and go, but once it started making them, it's had at least one on it at all times I think, had it around 18 months. I think you ID'd it for me, no blooms when I got it.

It's a fine time to sell plants on Ebay. I know you have so much great info to share about each one, but just putting their names and a pic would be enough. Don't feel like you have to type a care guide with each one. Tell 'em to come here if they have questions or email you. Just my .02's worth...

Delrey, huh? Bringing in plants? That's in the future, not today's concern! It's too hard to prioritize a gradual thing, who gets less light first...? Well, it's usually the colder nights that cause some to start trickling in, before the main flood, I don't call it panic night for nothin'!

I think I did well regarding my last shopping trip. All of the plants were added to existing containers, so although there's more plants, there's not more pots. Especially love these Begonias here.

• delreytropical
    10 years ago

Wow I love that new container purple. I have to admit with all these deals and markdowns its hard to pass by any nursery or garden center! I surely will have a ton of new houseplants, but I justifiy it to myself becaue buying plants now is cheaper than greenhouse grown ones in january. :)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville