Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Persian Shield questions

Posted by maroruben 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 9:31

Hello everyone, I have a persian shield in a pretty large pot. Last year it looked really nice and bushy. It stayed outside all winter. We really didn't have any bad freezes and it didn't seems to suffer much other than dropping a few leafs. This year though, the branches a long and scrawny....the new leafs are tiny. It doesn't look bushy at all. I have zero knowledge of how to care for this plant so I know it may be a pruning issue or the pot being too small. I just don't know. Here she is in all her sadness:

photo phonepictures428_zpsa4c19833.jpg
 photo phonepictures427_zps12bce619.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Persian Shield questions

Fantastic! That looks amazing, not sad.

It will grow bigger leaves in the height of summer, into fall. I can tell it's getting ready to POP! I might shape it a little, trim off the most puny little stems, especially at the ends where excessive twiggy-ness could cause the branches to break later as it does get covered with lots of big heavy leaves.

If the pot's crammed with roots, you could take it out of the pot, which might take 2 people so you don't drop or break it. Lay the root ball sideways on a rock or bag of mulch, something to hold it up higher than the ground, so the branches don't break. Someone will probably need to hold it steady while the other uses a shovel to chop off the bottom half of the root ball, fill the bottom of the pot with new soil and put the plant back in. I do that to my potted one every spring.

If some pieces do break off, you can propagate them in moist soil/potting mix or in the ground, and they almost always take root in water. If it breaks at hard wood, trim back to semi-hard, or even new soft stem for trying to propagate.

o

hi
i grow mine in [pots but buried in the ground as I find richer soil produces lusher foliage . generally in the spring they look much like yours due to cooler weather and flowering. When the heat and humidity hits they really perk up I find i get the largest leaves with deepest color in rather dense shade along with frequent pruning and slow release .. Experiment !! lol they are extremely hardy and amend to many different types of culture gary

o

Yes I agree, too much sun can fade the pretty purple color. I have these all around the yard in the ground as well as in pots. The ground plants are just coming back to life from disappearing for winter. This has been my fav. plant for about 15 years. Before moving to AL, there was no question about bringing them inside. After spending 3-5 months inside, THEN you would see an ugly plant! LOL!

o

Mine's in the shade as well but gets the brightest light just short of sun late in the day.

o

the plant looks gorgeous, just pinch the stem as it grows

o

This ground plant won't come out of flowering mode. It's been doing this since January.

o

This one just a few feet away had to come back from scratch this spring. Not sure why one plant thinks it's still winter, but the other 6 or so in the ground know it's summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here