Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lipstick plant?

Posted by Will07 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 9:34

Can anyone confirm that this is in fact a lipstick plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lipstick plant?

looks like some sort of a columnea or a goldfish plant.

o

I'd suggest yes, it IS a lipstick plant.

If you Search for that name & then isolate the Search to Images, you'll see matching pix as I just did.

o

I think this may be a nematanthus because of the pouchy looking flower. You might post it on the Gesneriads forum for a definite id.

o

It does look like a goldfish/nematanthus plant, I use to have one, but the blooms where stripped. I see them all the time for sale. The lipstick plants I have blooms several flowers together at the end of the branches and have these tube shaped things where long tube shaped blooms come out of...but that was just one of my plants, I'm not sure if all lipstick plants bloom like that. And Goldfish plants get blooms all along the branches one at a time and the blooms are pouchy looking.

o

My Lipstick Plant, Aeschynanthus everardii, has flowers at the ends of the stems. My understanding is that they all do.

o

This is one of the reasons I very much dislike the names Lipstick Plant, Goldfish Plant and Guppy Plant. These names are used interchangeably with aeschynanthus columnea and nematanthus respectively. The problem comes when people don't use that convention. I've bought columneas that were labeled as a Lipstick Plant when convention is that a Lipstick Plant is an aeschynanthus. I have seen columneas and nematanthus both labeled as goldfish plants. This is why am so much in favor of using Latin names when referring to plants. This is a specially true when it comes to these three species of plants in the Gesneriad family.

Will07,

I really believe that your plant is a nematanthus. If I had to guess it would be Nematanthus 'Bijou'. Don't quote me on it, but I think it's either that hybrid or a hybrid very close to it.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here