Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billmingnewbie

ming aralia plant care

billmingnewbie
13 years ago

i was just given a ming that i feel was started incorrectly. my friend gave one to me the same way she first got it,but instead of a singular shoot starting at soil level, there is a woody stump, 3/4" around, 4" tall, with a 9" shoot growing out the side 1" from top of stump. should they have been planted deeper in soil so there would only be the green shoot starting at soil level ?? thru this forum i have read several practices that will help her and myself as well. hope everyone benefits as well !

Comments (8)

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

I had one several years ago that sounds like that structurally (didn't survive). No, I don't think it was started incorrectly, I think it was pruned that way (&/or cuttings were taken from it).

Don't know if you're a newbie to plants; if so, it's generally not a good idea to change the height at which a plant is grown, that is to say (what I believe you are suggesting), planting it deeper than originally grown. I believe it's thought to increase the risk of rotting the trunk.

• billmingnewbie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

if i shouldn't plant the ming deeper, how can i take a new cutting and just restart it, because it's kinda ugly like that , foliage is beautiful, stump has to go

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Is that what you'd like, to start a new cutting? Well OK, No guarantees (I haven't done this yet myself), but I'd take the shoot off, as close to the stump trunk as possible & water root it. Other folks may say soil root it, but I think this one works better in water, then when rooted an inch or two I'd pot it up.

Again, no guarantees, but that's what I'd do.

By the way, don't throw out the trunk; it may be ugly, but it could well sprout more shoots which in turn you could remove as they got older.

• billmingnewbie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

found it pirate girl, how about using rooting compound ? I read something about it on plant care.com, oh by the way I'm only a newbie to mings

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

To use on what, the shoot or the stump? They really don't need it in my opinion/experience, but I don't suppose it can hurt. Tho' I can't see where you'd apply it in either case here.

I hear you that you're only newbie to Mings, OK. But don't know if you've heard but rooting hormone also has antifungal in it (a good thing); primarily like discouraging rot long enough for the plant to root. The same can be achieved w/ cinnamon, sprinkle it on what one wishes to protect from rot.

If it's about the stump, I would have left it potted & water it once it a while (not a lot since it has no leaves). Really, what it needs is time (& patience, sorry).

By the way the stump w/ shoot thing seems to be how they are produced & distributed.

I was at Home Depot tonight & bought 2 Hoyas & 2 Balfour Aralias. I saw a half dozen 8" pots of Ming Aralias each of which had 4 stumps, each of which was covered w/ shoots, making for pretty full looking plants. I wanted one but resisted. Made do w/ 2 small Balfour Aralias whch I adore!

• billmingnewbie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well, I'm going to give it a shot, which rooting method I haven't decided yet, regardless I THINK STUMP IS UGLY. but I will keep it around maybe I'll get more shoots to start. thanks for your help!

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

The "stumps" are part of what many love about ming aralias. They give them that "bonsai" look.

They are propagated and potted and sold with the stumps on purpose. This was no mistake.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

I must say I agree w/ Bill that I don't care for the stump look either.

All the Mings I've had I started from cuttings, so I only ever saw the stump thing once when I bought a Ming. They didn't survive, nor did I like them, but it was an odd mix they were in also. I don't feel the stumps are what give them a Bonsai look, rather the growth habit & maybe the shape it's pruned into.

In point of fact my non-stump one was admired by someone pretty knowledgeable about Bonsai (& she didn't mention its lack of stump). She was surprised I even brought it out of the house (alluding to some folks finding them fussy abt being moved).

Anyway, to each his/her own, it's a nice plant either way.