Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauriedutch

money tree (pachira) plant oozing?

lauriedutch
10 years ago

Hello,

Is it normal for a money tree plant to ooze? If you look closely at the photo, you can see what looks like droplets oozing out of the plant. The plant seems stressed because some of the leaves are slowly dying. I'm trying to figure out the cause of the oozing: is it normal, does it indicate a plant disease, or something else?

If the image does not display, how do I get it to display here? It's a Photobucket pic.

Thanks!

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac45/LaurieDutch/Moneyplant2_zpsa1b 59a81.jpg

This post was edited by lauriedutch on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 9:54

Comments (30)

• lauriedutch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a Photobucket pic. They provide 4 types of links (HTML, Direct, IMG, email/IM) but these don't seem to work here any longer :-(

Can someone advise how to get a photo to display here? Thanks.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Is the ooze coming from little brown bumps by chance?

..............Gotta terrible feeling I know what the problem is. :(

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

from Photobucket, pls. copy & paste the 3rd line of code. I use it all the time & it works just fine.

• lauriedutch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Third option is HTML
    {{gwi:89275}}

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

That is unusual. The best I can think of is trying to resaerch care req. and make shure that the plant has is every need

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

lauriedutch,
    Can you get another picture of your plant a little lower? I'm trying to tell what's on the stem. They look like brown spots at the bottom of your picture; I don't know if they're even anything or that's "normal." I've reposted your picture with a circle around what I'm talking about. I'd like a picture of that area of your plant.

Your plant just might have water evaporatiing off of it, I forget what the term is called (some plants do this, my Peace Lily does this a day or so after being watered, has little water beads hanging off some of the leaves). Does the liquid feel sticky at all?

As for the leaves dying, I don't have any experience with a "Money Tree," I'm sorry I can't help you there.

Planto

• lauriedutch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the droplets are sticky. The plant had sticky oozing at least one other time, dropped many or all leaves, then recovered beautifully.

I will try to post another photo soon. The plant is staying at my neighbor's. I hope she can join in the conversation. We wonder if the plant has a contagious disease (she has a money tree too).

This post was edited by lauriedutch on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 16:02

• Will07
    10 years ago

I've seen this on lots of money trees but I could never figure out what exactly it is. Could the tree be infested with spider mites or scale? When I've seen this on money trees they always are infested so perhaps it could be that. Also what Planto said, the process is called guttation but it doesn't occurred in the day time.

• lauriedutch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another photo. Do you think it could be suffering from scale?
    {{gwi:89276}}

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

It's guttation...and Pachira do it quite often.
    You can wash it off with a wet towel if you wish.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

It's difficult to say what those brown spots are, if anything as your photo is a little blurry. :/ Do they come off easily if you scratch them with your fingernail?

Planto

10 years ago

I think the brown spots are a part of the trunk...I've seen it in the past, and used my nail to flake some off. It didn't seem to be insect, so I haven't bothered since.

Josh

• lauriedutch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks very much!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Well....that's a load off my mind(except that idr guttation being sticky(unless it is with this plant which I've never owned).

Yes I suspected scale but didn't want to say just yet w/o further info.

Never so happy to be wrong! :)

10 years ago

Quite sticky, indeed.

A clearer picture could resolve the question of the scale.

Josh

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

EVEN better! LOL

I'd seen similar scarring(the little brown spots)on sheffleras so I'm not too concerned about those. Aslo the idea that the "honeydew" was dripping from ABOVE where I thought I'd seen 'em was throwing me.

My advice would be to stay on guard with pachira...like the scheffs they get hit by scale pretty hard.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Guttation is usually harmless to the plant. You are right about scale and schleffera. It usually doesnt kill them but it does weaken them

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Just threw one out the other day that had been weakened....to death!

Did I mention that I HATE scale?

• hjoseph7
    10 years ago

Never had that problem with any of my plants. I did have the problem of leaves drying out until I figured out what the problem was.

First of all I live in an apartment and originally I placed the plants too close to the heater and window. The sun and the dry-heat from the heater was burning out the leaves.

Moving the plant away from the windows and heater helped but my plants were still suffering from lack of humidity in the winter time, since I kept the windows closed to avoid the cold.

Placing a small bucket filled with water next to the plant solved the humidity problem.

Next problem was over watering. Now I only water my plants once or twice a month. Occasionally I will spray the leaves but only in the morning or evenings.

My plants are growing great now. With beautiful healthy green leaves and an occasional yellow leaf here and there, but nothing to be concerned about.

• Platinum Queen7
    6 years ago

What's "guttation"? I found droplets of really sticky stuff like this as well.

• Andreas John
    6 years ago

I have a question about why the leaves are sprouting like that. Mine use to open up like an umbrella but are now coming out like the photo above (and my attachment).

any reason for that? Just found guttation on mine this morning

6 years ago

Should be fine. Might just be due to the time of year.

• Alireza Shahvaran
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hello everyone ! Please help me about my pachira plant.

I have a 6.5 foot tall plant that grew beautifully. noticed many Honeydews on the top and I took it as a sign of over watering so I cut the water. Things got worst, Honey dews rapidly progressed and covered the whole length of the tree and the leaves started to get yellow. I noticed some tiny brown dots under the leaves that could be scratched off. I sprayed my plant thoroughly with insecticide after. The dews are gone but now the leaves are showing patches of brown ( Embedded withing the structure of the leave like decolourations ) can you please let me know what to do ?

Needless to say that I noticed some webbing and found that they are caused by spider mites. So what do I do now ? How often should I keep spraying it ?

thanks !

5 years ago

Spray three times, three days apart, and rinse the tree between treatments. That should do it. The discolorations will be permanent unfortunately.

Josh

• Hanieh M.
    5 years ago

Hi,

our Money Tree has not been doing well recently. First I noted that the leaves are becoming yellow and I cut many yellow ones. Then I saw the plant is oozing behind the leaves and after googling I found this post. And yes I saw some spider mites and black dots behind the leaves I have started treating the plant with home remedy mix (dishwasher+water+oil+a bit of alcohol). I appreciate any ideas and help. I very much love this plant.

We do not over water the plant (a small amount of water every 3-days) and mostly try to avoid direct sun exposure.

5 years ago

Well, it could use more light, the brightest window you have. What is the drainage like? Spray to kill the spider mites for sure.

Josh

• Rana Fawaz
    3 years ago

Any body found the solution for this?

• Rana Fawaz
    3 years ago

Mine is still having the honeydew, no insects at all, very sticky at the back of the leafs .

and we’re loosing yellow leaves one after the other

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

If the drops are sticky it does sound like honeydew from a sucking insect. Check carefully for scale insects along leaf veins on the lower side . They can be hard to see.

As for the droplets in previous posts, if they’re not sticky it looks like normal guttation.

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company