Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
money tree (pachira) plant oozing?

Posted by lauriedutch 5 / CO (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 9:51

Hello,

Is it normal for a money tree plant to ooze? If you look closely at the photo, you can see what looks like droplets oozing out of the plant. The plant seems stressed because some of the leaves are slowly dying. I'm trying to figure out the cause of the oozing: is it normal, does it indicate a plant disease, or something else?

If the image does not display, how do I get it to display here? It's a Photobucket pic.

Thanks!

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac45/LaurieDutch/Moneyplant2_zpsa1b 59a81.jpg

This post was edited by lauriedutch on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 9:54

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: money tree (pachira) plant oozing?

Sorry, I can't get to your pic.

o

It's a Photobucket pic. They provide 4 types of links (HTML, Direct, IMG, email/IM) but these don't seem to work here any longer :-(

Can someone advise how to get a photo to display here? Thanks.

o

Is the ooze coming from little brown bumps by chance?

..............Gotta terrible feeling I know what the problem is. :(

o

from Photobucket, pls. copy & paste the 3rd line of code. I use it all the time & it works just fine.

o

Third option is HTML
 photo Moneyplant2_zpsa1b59a81.jpg

o

That is unusual. The best I can think of is trying to resaerch care req. and make shure that the plant has is every need

o

lauriedutch,
Can you get another picture of your plant a little lower? I'm trying to tell what's on the stem. They look like brown spots at the bottom of your picture; I don't know if they're even anything or that's "normal." I've reposted your picture with a circle around what I'm talking about. I'd like a picture of that area of your plant.

Your plant just might have water evaporatiing off of it, I forget what the term is called (some plants do this, my Peace Lily does this a day or so after being watered, has little water beads hanging off some of the leaves). Does the liquid feel sticky at all?

As for the leaves dying, I don't have any experience with a "Money Tree," I'm sorry I can't help you there.

Planto

o

Yes, the droplets are sticky. The plant had sticky oozing at least one other time, dropped many or all leaves, then recovered beautifully.

I will try to post another photo soon. The plant is staying at my neighbor's. I hope she can join in the conversation. We wonder if the plant has a contagious disease (she has a money tree too).

This post was edited by lauriedutch on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 16:02

o

I've seen this on lots of money trees but I could never figure out what exactly it is. Could the tree be infested with spider mites or scale? When I've seen this on money trees they always are infested so perhaps it could be that. Also what Planto said, the process is called guttation but it doesn't occurred in the day time.

o

Here's another photo. Do you think it could be suffering from scale?
 photo MPlant3_zpsa8b4c0e6.jpg

o

It's guttation...and Pachira do it quite often.
You can wash it off with a wet towel if you wish.

o

It's difficult to say what those brown spots are, if anything as your photo is a little blurry. :/ Do they come off easily if you scratch them with your fingernail?

Planto

o

I think the brown spots are a part of the trunk...I've seen it in the past, and used my nail to flake some off. It didn't seem to be insect, so I haven't bothered since.

Josh

o

Thanks very much!

o

Well....that's a load off my mind(except that idr guttation being sticky(unless it is with this plant which I've never owned).

Yes I suspected scale but didn't want to say just yet w/o further info.

Never so happy to be wrong! :)

o

Quite sticky, indeed.

A clearer picture could resolve the question of the scale.

Josh

o

EVEN better! LOL

I'd seen similar scarring(the little brown spots)on sheffleras so I'm not too concerned about those. Aslo the idea that the "honeydew" was dripping from ABOVE where I thought I'd seen 'em was throwing me.

My advice would be to stay on guard with pachira...like the scheffs they get hit by scale pretty hard.

o

Guttation is usually harmless to the plant. You are right about scale and schleffera. It usually doesnt kill them but it does weaken them

o

Just threw one out the other day that had been weakened....to death!

Did I mention that I HATE scale?

o

Never had that problem with any of my plants. I did have the problem of leaves drying out until I figured out what the problem was.

First of all I live in an apartment and originally I placed the plants too close to the heater and window. The sun and the dry-heat from the heater was burning out the leaves.

Moving the plant away from the windows and heater helped but my plants were still suffering from lack of humidity in the winter time, since I kept the windows closed to avoid the cold.

Placing a small bucket filled with water next to the plant solved the humidity problem.

Next problem was over watering. Now I only water my plants once or twice a month. Occasionally I will spray the leaves but only in the morning or evenings.

My plants are growing great now. With beautiful healthy green leaves and an occasional yellow leaf here and there, but nothing to be concerned about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here