Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
indoor Croton variegatum outside for summer?

Posted by conuremama 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 10:08

So last year i acquired my very first Croton...it didn't do to well till about 4-6 months ago when i when i found a spot it really loves. Recently my land lord returned and moved a big ugly van right in front of my plants window...growth has slowed since then....I'm wondering if i can place my plant outside during the day over this summer until my landlord leaves again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: indoor Croton variegatum outside for summer?

As long as its nice and warm out you can leave it out all summer. Just don't place it in full sun right away.

o

That's a pretty one! Allowing water to sit in the drip saucer like that could cause root rot to your plant.

I'm surprised there aren't more anecdotes here by now, there's got to be lots of these out there... I haven't had one since the 90's...

o

I've never put mine outdoors before because it gets so stinking hot here.

I keep it in the same spot all year. In the winter it gets direct sunlight all day and it grows like crazy. In the summer, it's the opposite and it grows a little bit but seems happy.

What I do know is these plants love water. Mine has sat in puddled water before (every time I water, lol) and it just sucks it up. So if you put it outside in the heat, you'll have to water often.

o

It's a tropical plant, so heat and humidity are its' milieu. Watering often is perfect for having healthy plants, and this one's known for being quite thirsty.

Oakley, if your plants' growth slows during the summer when it's not getting as much light, more light during that time could help it continue growing more quickly then also.

Here's a great article about container soils, and how roots can react to different situations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here