Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
attempting to grow spider plant from seed.

Posted by teengardener1888 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 10:19

i am attempting to grow some seeds i gathered from my spider plants. i know people have done it before so i thought it might be cool to grow it from seeds rather than plantlets. i have planted the seeds of c.comosum 'variegatum; in a 2 inch pot with fertile baked and sifted though a window screen garden soil. baking it prevents disease and sifting it makes a more finer mix. i have watered them and put a clear plastic bag over them to keep them moist. i haeard that variegated spider plant seeds come out plain green

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: attempting to grow spider plant from seed.

You probably weren't born yet last time I tried this so I don't remember much about it except that nothing came up, but I'm not saying this to be discouraging. If I had some seeds, I'd try again. You've definitely put a lot more effort into the soil than I did, although I don't know if "a more finer mix" is a good thing. For plants, that's exactly the opposite of what you want, but it may be just the thing for these seeds...? You have my wholehearted wishes for success!

o
RE: attempting to grow spider plant from seed.

Funny you should post this, I just "tickled" my spider flowers with a q-tip this morning hoping to eventually do the same thing. If the babies came up all green I would like that. How many do you put to a pot? Good luck with your babies, let us know when they come up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here