Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peace Lily dying

Posted by beard_of_socrates none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 10:21

Hello all,

Looks like I've ran into a bit of trouble with this hardy plant. A few days it appeared healthy, now it's drooping to point I can't get it back up.

I think the culprit was over-watering. I think I could just dump out the contents and refill, though I'm worried the plant may have dyed from root rot. :(

The container does have a drainage system. It has a catch filter at the bottom with a layer of medium sized rocks above that.

Any help is definitively appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peace Lily dying

Usually the culprit of this wilting is underwatering. If the soil isnt moist it needs water ASAP.

o

I'd check to see if the mix had completely hardened off (which peaty mixes tend to do) interfering w/ the plant's ability to drink.

Likelier than not, it's because of the poor mix, not under or overwatering.

Sorry, don't know what a catch filter is.

Thinking has changed on the layer of rocks down below, that is now though to be a bad idea interfering further w/ proper drainage.

I'd unpot the whole thing & check if the roots are still alive, before trying to do anything else; it MAY be too late, can't tell w/out unpotting it, sorry.

o

If the mix is hardened I would submerge it for a half an hour and let It sit in a few days in a shady spot. If it is alive it will perk up alittle if not it is probally lost

o

Those leaves are dead....they won't come back. However, that doesn't mean that the entire plant is dead. Unless it has been overwatered to the point of total root rot....it could grow new leaves.

These plants are very sensitive to soggy roots/potting mix. They begin to wilt due to root rot.....we water them even more thinking that they are dry, and then they die.

I don't understand about your potting system, either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here