Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Schefflera

Posted by 100mphtortoise Iowa (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 10:29

Heres a pic of my 10 year old schefflera.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Schefflera

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb.

Wow that's a big, very nice looking plant. It's in real danger though I think, from the critter on the left! It looks like it really wants to eat some. May be time to turn it a little to let the other side have some light?

o

Welcome 100.

Very nice Scheff. Leaves are big, shiny and healthy.

Morning Nancy..you're funny..critter on the left, lol Toni

o

I've always like the name Nancy but my Mom says I'm Tiffany. Understandable, though, I rarely put it on here. Kudos for trying to remember :+)

Forgot to ask, how big was it when you got it?

o

Thanks for the welcomes, ya the plants about almost seven foot tall, and yes every once and a while that critter trys to get a bite but I don't let him.lol

o

Sorry purple im a little slow on posting, it was about two feet tall and bushy,about two years ago I moved from a house that had a nice side porch with alot of light,to a house that doesn't and about every leaf and branch fell off then about two months later it got all that growth underneth the very top branchs.

o

Thanks for the welcomes, ya the plants about almost seven foot tall, and yes every once and a while that critter trys to get a bite but I don't let him.lol

o

I knew that critter looked hungry! Sounds like your plant may be a little older than 10, or it was started from a big cutting. It looks pretty happy there, great job!

Sorry, the gremlins have gotten in this discussion. Ignore them.

o

Ya I couldn't tell you how it got started, I got it at my great grandmothers funeral she loved these kind of plant, its not just one plant theres four trunks, I like it bushy so I keep them together.

o

Purple, I am SO sorry...
It's very hot; my body and brain are functioning at 104F degrees. lol. Indoors.

Purple is Purple, not Nancy, Purple is Purple, not Nancy. Have to remind myself..lol.

100, I agree with, ahem, Purple, lol. Your Scheff is probably older than 10-years.

o

O.k so how old do you think it is, I know what you mean by it being hot it was 115f degrees with the heat index yesterday here in iowa, I didn't even want to go outside it was so humid and hot.

o

O.k so how old do you think it is, I know what you mean by it being hot it was 115f degrees with the heat index yesterday here in iowa, I didn't even want to go outside it was so humid and hot.

o

100..First, although it's been a long time, 10-years, I'm sorry about the loss of your great-grandmother.

It's difficult, if not impossible figuring out your Scheff's exact age.

You might be able to narrow it down. Depends on how and where it was originally grown, and size when you adopted.

Do you recall original pot size, and Scheff's height/width?

Scheff's are slow-growers. A 1-foot tall Scheff can be anywhere from two to three yrs old.

Was Scheff in your possession the entire 10-years? If so, do you remember amount of growth it put on per year?

But, 100, once again, age depends on the Sheff's original location. If sent from FL, it possibly grew a little faster.

Was it purchase at a private, family-owned business or big-box store? If you're really curious, you might want to phone the business, (don't bother calling big box stores,' ask how old plants are when used for memorial services. Family owned businesses usually keep records.

If purchased in your location, especially from a famly-owned business, you'd have a better chance getting information. Ask to speak to the person in charge of ordering.

Once you find the answer, do some dividing. You should get an approximate age.

It's a lot of work, but if you'd like to know Scheff's age, it's worth it. lol.

100, a few days ago, I had a tap water question. You wouldn't believe the number of places I called.
Today, June 28, an employee from a water dept returned my call. She was so helpful, but unfortunately it was the wrong department. She gave me the right phone number, so tomorrow I call. lol.

If I can do it, you can, considering I'm a chicken..lol.

Good luck, Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here