Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynngun

Poinsettia Help!

lynngun
9 years ago

Last Christmas I saved two poinsettias from the trash. I heard that they are difficult to bring back in to bloom but I have excepted the challenge.

One plant was on a high shelf in the only entry way of the house. It was probably exposed to cold drafts and was not watered. When I pulled it down all of the leaves were dried and falling off.

After a few months this plant started growing small leaves and I thought it was on a road to recovery. Now, many more months later, the leaves are still tiny and the ends of the stalks are becoming mushy. Most have been cut off. Those that have not are what made me finely post this. My whole plant looks like four greenish sticks in a pot.

It is kept in a west facing window and it receives adequate water, or at least I think it does.

MY QUESTIONS: I have heard that poinsettias should be pruned, is this something I should do now? Is there any other way I can save this plant? It would be a lovely plant if it had leaves, so I would hate to get rid of it.

I also have a large pot with three plants in it should I prune this? How much pruning is needed?

Do you have any other tips for keeping and blooming poinsettias?

Thank you very much for all of your help.

There are more pictures coming.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations