Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help identifying plants

Posted by applechelle VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 10:44

I received several mixed baskets of sympathy plants from my moms memorial. I need help identifying please. One does not look well, crispy... Can it be saved?

Thank you!
April

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help identifying plants

Hi & welcome to GardenWeb! So sorry about your loss.

It's a fern of some type. Do you know why it got crispy? Too dry or too wet? Did it get put suddenly in direct sun outside? Knowing why it looks like that would help predict it's potential for recovery.

o

We received the plant Thursday 5/23 at the church in SC, my husband I drove back to northern VA the following Friday. It was in the back seat of the car (along with the other plants). Honestly, I have not watered since... It's a little over a week later... And today I'm enjoying a relaxing gardening day:)

Maybe too much sun on the drive back? Maybe dried out?

April

o

Ahhh, relaxing sounds great! Hopefully it's overwhelmed from dryness, not from a combo of high heat/too much moisture. Impossible to say from the pic.

If it feels very lightweight and the soil feels dry, I would drench (with gentle water, not a vigorous blast or dump of it,) so water comes out of the holes in the bottom (out of the bowl, in sink or shower.) Check a few minutes later to see if it really did get wet throughout, visually and feeling if it's a lot heavier. If not, water it gently but well again.

When it's finished dripping, then you can put it back in the bowl. Then don't water again until it seems mostly dried out, but not parched like the desert. Put it in a window that gets a little sun in the morning if you can (east) and see which parts stay green, which turn brown. Then you can trim the brown parts off so it doesn't look bad anymore. Hopefully you'll soon see new little fuzzy fronds start forming at the soil level.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here