Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uhthena

Something is eating my dracaena marginata!

uhthena
9 years ago

Hello everyone.. I am having a huge problem with my poor dragon tree... About a month ago it started to droop and drop leaves. There were things that look like flecks of dirt near the base of the leaves and I assumed spider mites, so I removed them with Q-tips and rubbing alcohol and then sprayed every day with insecticidal soap. It began looking up and got less droopy but now all new growth is being completely chopped off? I am very confused. Almost as if there is something gnawing at the new growth. I have never seen any pests, insects or caterpillars on my tree. Please help?

Comments (2)

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

This is just a guess, but could it be slugs? I don't know if they like eating Dracaenas, but they to come out at night and prefer eating newer, younger leaves that are more tender than older leaves. Do you grow it indoors or outdoors? Some pics would help us to properly diagnose what could possibly be doing this.

I grow my Dracaenas outside during the warm months, but I keep them all on a table, up off of the ground and away from these annoying pests.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Have you made any progress figuring out what's eating your tree? If you can add a pic to this discussion, someone may recognize the pattern of damage.