Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A mystery Dracaena?

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 11:07

I knew there were quite a few Dracaenas but never imagined I'd be completely stumped trying to decide what kind, and now I'm not even sure that's what it is. Still just a really little guy, but does anyone recognize him?

As you can see, there's a bit of sunburn and I've backed it up a bit, but it doesn't seem to be developing any variegation in as much light as possible without getting more sunburn, or getting any darker green.

When I brought it home (from WM) it was in some kind of weird stringy "hard" stuff (coir?) and no tag at all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A mystery Dracaena?

looks like Dracaena Janet Craig Compacta. my grandmother had one for a good 20 years before a spider mite infestation killed it

o

Thanks for the response. I looked at D. deremensis but got a gaggle of variegated plants so didn't think that was it, but when I do "janet craig" I see plain green ones. Think you're right. Looks like if I want variegated leaves on this one, it's gonna be sunburn. (J/K!)

Don't know how I'm going to break the news about this plant to my honey. He says they're all named "Steve" which is fine with me 'cuz their real names are usually too much of a mouthful. I guess Janet will be like the Smurfette of the porch - the only chick in the clan. Being so, I think the Steves will like her a lot, unless she acts too uppity.

o

I'm guessing 'Limelight Dracaena'....thats my best guess.

-FPT

o

I agree with FlowerPotTipper. The color looks much lighter than a friend's Janet Craig compacta. His was in very low light and got watered once every few months when I reminded him that it was still alive.
Does anyone know if a Limelight Compacta has been developed yet?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here