Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Angel Wing Begonia, too much sun?

Oakley
10 years ago

I bought this AWB a few weeks ago and I've kept it on the front porch where it gets only 2 hours of direct morning sun, and the temps are also cool at that time.

Look at the left 2/3rd's of the plant and see how it's lightening? The far right branches have that nice dark green color.

Should this be in full shade with no direct sunlight? Or maybe it needs fertilized?

I'm thinking about bringing it indoors because I love it.

{{gwi:89589}}

Comments (8)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Beautiful plant, and fascinating situation. I might leave it right there and see which side blooms better. But if you're not feeling experimental, and you like the darker green leaves better, scoot it back toward the shade a bit. Which way does your porch face, south?

Great porch, BTW! Is that Torenia to the left? What's going on behind it - Peony or rose maybe?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

If the planting consists of more than one plant, it may be a genetic variation between the plants, or it could be related to a variation in care the individual plants received before they were combined in your planting. You should plan on fertilizing regularly for best results.

Al

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purple, the porch faces north but the plant sits on the west side of it so it won't get much sun. The sun it does get is eastern sun from about 7am to 9am. I moved it for the picture.

Yes, that's Torenia you see, with Knockout Roses in the background. They've taken over the flowerbeds!

Tapla, I was wondering if there could be two different varieties planted.

I'll start fertilizing. Will it bloom in full shade?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

It will bloom in full shade, but if it could tell you what it wanted, it would say it would appreciate morning and late afternoon sun. Actually, morning sun is more beneficial than late afternoon sun, but in any case, it needs protection from midday sun.

There's a new (at least to me) semi-pendulous begonia out called "Million Kisses" I bought 6 this year to incorporate into my mixed shade containers. So far, I'm really impressed with the bloom output, and the containers have only been put together since Memorial Day weekend ...... and it's been quite cool, too.

• rosebuddy
    10 years ago

I was given one of these about 20 years ago as a cutting from a friend. One of my favourites. Being in a colder climate I treat them as a houseplant. By them I mean I have three large pots of them. They are really easy to root in water from stem cuttings so if you are nervous about yours, just cut off a few stem cuttings, remove lower leaves and put in water for a couple of weeks. New roots will form no problem. I find mine do best in a well lit room with just a splash of morning sun. If they ever get leggy from not enough sun, again take the stem cuttings to form new plants. No need for root starter, just put them in water.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm going to put it back in it's original place where it gets morning sun. Looking at the plant last night, I think it's getting ready to bloom like crazy!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Well that's cool. Please take a pic for us when it pops!

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I have a whole vase of cuttings rooted now and will pot up soon. Gorgeous plant