Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamora_gw

how hot is TOO hot?

Lamora
11 years ago

Hi all, I hope you all had a great weekend!

I was just wondering for some of my plants, Like the spider and Pothos and a few others, how hot is too hot to be outside? It will get in the 90's F today,in the shade, supposed to drop to 70's tomorrow, low 50's. Yeah, kinda screwed up for this time of year.

The plants love it outside for now, but it hasnt been that hot for them yet. We brought them in last night because if the high winds.

Not only is it going to get hot, but it is very dry air too. So I was just wondering how hot is too hot? And would that sudden change in temp hurt them?

Thanks for any input on this.

Marjie :)

Comments (9)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Awww, that's nothin'! It can get over 100 here for days in a row, with a "break in the heat" being a dip down to 95 or so. This goes on for 3-4 months, with a long stretch of high 80's / mid 90's book-ending on both sides of the really hot part of summer. I wouldn't worry about those fluctuations from night to day, or day to day, that's natural.

All of my plants are fine with it, except Fuchsia, but I don't think you have one of those anyway.

Everything else grows like crazy in the summer. Nothing gets much sun from about noon-1:30, except Sans. Everything is placed to get either morning sun before that, or afternoon sun (a lot hotter, especially for roots in a dark pot.) When in doubt, go with morning if you have the option there. Back it up a bit if you see some sunburn.

My plants have been outside since mid-March. Once they go out, they don't come back in except in the case of frost which, if I've decided correctly on which day to do this, won't be until winter. The weaker the sun rays are when they get out there, the easier it is for them to adjust to much more sun, gradually as its' angle changes. I know that's way too early there, but just wanted you to have the info for reference, confidence. And I know you're the type to take them in & out, very useful in Z4.

Look how lucky we are, supposed to be cooler all week until the weekend! We've almost hit 100 here a couple times already. If you click the blue "monthly" at the left, check out the end of last month.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Lamora,

did you not move recently? I thought that you may be in different zone right now? Just wondering...Rina

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

dont be worried. just dont have them in baking sun. keep them in shade

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hey purple and teeng-- thanks- makes me feel better. They get some morning sun, not much, then the sun goes behind the house so they get shade. Then the sun goes between our house and the one next door, that is when they get the afternoon sun for about 2 hrs. Very hot that time of day too. So I was somewhat worried-- but thats me. ;)

rina- yes, we moved from WA to ID. From very cool and himid to hot and dry. Well ok, warm and dry, will be hot next month-- lol Here the summers are kinda short, seems to be getting shorter every year. But it is still hot in July and Aug.

Anyway-- thanks everyone. I won't worry so much about them then getting too hot.

Marjie -- still learning!! :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Marjie

the reason I asked is that the advice given may be for your original zone that is showing in your profile (4). May not matter too much now since it is warm just about everywhere. You may try to change your zone - I am not sure if it works-didn't try myself.

Do you know your zone in ID? (I looked on the map, and you have lots of different zones in Idaho...http://www.gardentimeonline.com/IdahoHardinessZoneMap.html)
    Rina

11 years ago

Gardenweb has a zone finder, just enter your ZIP code and hit enter.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

It's high temperatures with low humidity (and wind) that are the greatest problem. Plants like Pothos come from hot but humid climates. During the dry seasons temperatures are milder so it's not a problem.

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, havent been on for a few days.

yep-- zone 4. Been way windy today, supposed to get to 90F. Right now it is 85 in the shade. I am going to have to do something for the humidity thing, they are really too dry. I guess rocks and water in a tray would work? I wanted the GH to hold some of the humidity in, but it gets so HOT! kinda threw that idea out the window.

tropic-- the potho is the ONLY ONE GROWING! go figure, oh and the Rope Hoya, cant believe how fast that is growing. I am impressed with it.. :)

I just hope the rest of them will start growing soon, some are just sitting there, not doing anything. Some are growing real slow, but still growing. Ron thinks they are still in shock of the move here. I dont know how long it takes for them to get over it. But they seem healthy, (from what I know) so I guess I shouldn't worry. (I guess) Just give them time. I guess.

I just wish I could get some of them to look like all of yours. But I am still learning.. maybe someday.

anyway, just an update
    Marjie :)

11 years ago

Al Roker said some relief is coming up north. I hope so! You sound kinda down today. Sending you good vibes! I think I'm getting used to the south. It's 91 on the front porch, 86% humidity but a nice, cool 83 inside, haven't turned on A/C yet today.