Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teengardener1888

how to grow stawberry begonia and snake plant

teengardener1888
11 years ago

Just brought strawberry begonia and snake plant. General care tips and photos of your plants if you have snake plant or strawberry begonia as comparison

Comments (24)

• squidy
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Snake plant is sooo easy. Just water it when the soil is dry and it will just sit there and not do anything.
    Be careful not to break the leaf tips though, because it's such a slow grower, you'll be stuck with damaged leaves forever.
    I don't have pictures right now, but mine is still a small plant even though I've had it for a few years.

Oh, I found one on google that looks a lot like what I have: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eaKbvlcIK10/TIhAD6wVBiI/AAAAAAAAJUw/ulV9etjiEnw/s1600/sansevieria+trifasciata+hahnii-type+no+1+(own).jpg

I don't know anything about strawberry begonia.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

I think strawberry begonia is the common name for the plant Saxifraga sarmentosa. It produces all these little miniature clones of itself which form a lovely red curtain when planted in a hanging basket.

From my experience of growing this plant, it is easy to keep in a cool, bright window indoors. I remember that I did find it was very attractive to greenfly. It flowers in tall spikes like many saxifrages. There is a beautiful variegated variety which seems to be more delicate.
    Another common name for this plant is Mother of Thousands, which it shares with a Kalanchoe species, I believe. I have also seen it called Strawberry Geranium. Ordinary houseplant compost suits it fine, and it prefers to be neither too moist nor too dry, in other words, moderate watering.

• alavoneluvhoya
    11 years ago

also I wanted to add to the snake plant care you must put it a central location not right next to a light source because it will grow towards the light you will have a side ways growing plant. lol

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

My sans has always been outside for the summers, in lots of direct light, except for a couple years in apartments. Whether inside or outside, if you rotate plants, they will not lean or become uneven.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I've always kept mine in a very bright window...rotating it when I remember. I've never had it lean towards the light...which I suspect alav's does because it's not getting enough light. They are wonderfully adaptable plants, and are known to be amenable to lower light conditions, but they really love a LOT of light.

11 years ago

I've always kept mine in a very bright window...rotating it when I remember. I've never had it lean towards the light...which I suspect alav's does because it's not getting enough light. They are wonderfully adaptable plants, and are known to be amenable to lower light conditions, but they really love a LOT of light.

11 years ago

OK, I have NO idea why my posts have been repeating so often over the past several days! And this one...THREE times?

11 years ago

I've noticed that, and you're not the only one with posts like that. One of yours repeated, waited for another post from someone else, then repeated again. That's the weirdest one I think. And some other weird things going on. There are a couple threads I've responded to a couple times and when I go back a day later, it's not there. I hadn't put any kind of link to be mistaken for spam, which I try to never do. Evening out the karma? (Humming Twilight Zone theme...!)

• alavoneluvhoya
    11 years ago

I had a huge snake in my old office on top of a filing cabinet for 2 years or so and the darn thing was growing crazy! all of the arms on it were so sideways you could almost set a plate on the arms and use as a desk lol once I moved it to the middle of the room it slowly corrected itself..... Maybe it was just my freaky plant lol.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

has anybody grown stawberry begonia i know your out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!come out!!!where are you?

11 years ago

Hey now, let's not have a temper tantrum. I know you're new to this, here's how I investigate:

Are all Begonias the same? No, there are several types of Begonias.

A google of "strawberry begonia" lets us know it is a common name used to refer to a couple species of the genus Saxifraga. Wiki applies it to Saxifraga stolonifera, not botanically a Begonia. "Stolonifera" tells us it makes stolons, a runner similar to a rhizome, btw.

Is that your plant? If so, you now know the botanical name and are able to investigate, and ask a more specific question here.

That's not your plant? Also on the first page of the search was a page from Texas A&M University about Saxifraga sarmentosa with a picture of a different plant although it claims that S. stolonifera is a synonym. (Wonder what sarmentosa means? Fire up those fingers & find out :+)

I'm sure you can further investigate, using the "majority of reputable sources" rule applied to an image search of "strawberry begonia.

HTH as an outline of how to investigate.

For confirmation, show us a picture of your plant.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

You obviously missed my post above, Teen.

• User
    11 years ago

Yep, TeenG,

Marguerite's right, she had a nice little response addressing the plant you're asking about, seems you missed it.

Purple was kind enough to you to explain some basic search info. to you.

Since you've shown us all how good you are at Cut & Paste, I believe it's time you start learning & practicing some of your own searches.

It's fine to ask questions, but since you want to know about so very many plants & seems quite impatient to wait for answers, it's time to start doing some of your own homework & research yourself.

Often when we help people here, they use it as a starting point to do further information searches themselves. Sometimes they come back to ask further questions, sharing some info. they found themselves & asking what we think about it. That's fine & we welcome those kinds of queries (they show thought & initiative).

It's time you start exercising some of that initiative for yourself, other than your great curiosity & interest in learning.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Teen, Strawberry Begonias/Saxifraga is fairly simple to care for. They're beautiful plants--look good hanging or alone on a stand.

It's been years since I've had SB. Mine hung in a very bright, unobstructed east window.

ST doesn't like heat, a cool room, 65-68F is perfect.

Water thoroughly. Test soil before adding more water. Soil should dry a little between waterings. Moreso in winter. IF kept too wet, it will rot.

SB tends to produce flowers when root-bound, so don't over-pot. SB flowers throughout the year, but for some strange reason, mine bloomed more from August through Dec.
    This is a guess, but I think it flowered later in the year because the room was chilly.

Offshoots can be rooted in soil. Set the end/leaves in soil, 'either by cutting off or keeping attached to mom, and placing in a neighboring pot w/soil.' They root faster from spring on.

Fertilizing times are optional. My SB was fertilized once a month, from spring till autumn, with All-Purpose fertilizer. A balanced fertilizer will do.

That's about it. Which variety did you get? Toni

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry that was a desparate cry not a angry cry

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i sounded like a fool i was just concerned about my plant. before i did my reaserch i just wanted to see what other people might know

11 years ago

One of my favorite plants from long ago was Saxifraga stolonifera (strawberry geranium/begonia). Only it was used as an outdoor groundcover. I believe that it is hardy to USDA zone 7 (or less).

11 years ago

Your frustrations are understandable. It's just our job as adults to let you know when you're "not doing right," a phrase I learned from moving to AL. Very handy, use it all the time.

When in a panic about a new plant, the best thing to do is nothing. Make sure it isn't wilty-dry, put it in shade, just in case, then calm down & find out. Doing nothing for a small amount of time at first is better than doing the wrong thing. Top of the list for wrong things is sunburned new plant and overwatering, so you're not going to do those, it's ok.

I'm one of the first ones to say "well you should research a plant before you get it" but had a humbling experience this morning. My nearly-elderly landlady gave me, I'm not even sure yet it started raining, I think 3 different Begonias I've never seen before, some kind of Christmas or Thanksgiving cactus, and a bunch of ferns she thinks are Boston. How could I have researched that first? Off to fix lunch, then figure it out... first step will be to post some pics and see if people agree with what I've guessed they are. ...which you still haven't done yet, hope you can. All kinds of helpful info can inadvertently come from showing a pic.

• ChemGardner
    11 years ago

When you ask other people for info before doing your own research, you are wasting their time, and your own. Research first. It's likely that someone at some time made a similar post, and received responses that you can learn from as well. If you don't find any, THEN make the post. There is literally thousands of pages with info about growing the plants you posted.

11 years ago

Chem, if everyone did their own research before posting a question there would be no GardenWeb. If you don't feel obliged to offer your own experiences about a specific question, then don't answer it. That way, you will never feel like your time has been wasted.

• ChemGardner
    11 years ago

I think there is a big difference between having a specific question, or problem you want help with, and posting that you want GENERAL care tips and any general pictures that can be easily, and MORE quickly(!) found using google or bing.

It's a very different case if teen goggled 'snake plant care' and then made a post saying something like 'hey everyone, Site A said one thing, but Site B said something different, what has been your experience?'.

It's not about wasting my time, or any other specific person. Believe me, I know I can just move on without answering his post. it's just general forum etiquette, no matter the forum or topic. Teen may not know that, so I am just trying to help.

11 years ago

Well, thank you for popping in and protecting us. - "Wendy" in A Fish Called Wanda.

• stonesriver
    11 years ago

Actually, I understand what CG is saying. On several forums, GW asks that people do a search before posting to see if the question has already been posted or answered.

Not that it works, of course. ;-)

Linda

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

I'll leave some quotes to consider as I muse.

It is one of the beautiful compensations in this life that no one can sincerely try to help another without helping himself. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think that most of us don't mind sharing the benefit of our knowledge and experience when someone needs help and asks for it in the context of doing them a favor, or especially when there is a sense of panic.

When you're drowning, you don't say 'I would be incredibly pleased if someone would have the foresight to notice me drowning and come and help me,' you just scream. ~ John Lennon

For me, personally, it doesn't have to be stated as a plea or a cry for help - just knowing that a fellow gardener has met with an uphill climb is enough for most of us to want to heave to with a hand.

Plant flowers in others' gardens and your life becomes a bouquet! ~ Author Unknown

I'm all about getting helpful information out to as many people as possible. One of the best ways to do that is through frequent repetition. Yes, it's pedantic and boring to you who've read it a thousand times, but to a distraught grower it just might be the piece needed to complete a particularly difficult part of the puzzle. The BEST time to help is when people want and need it at the same time.

'Tis not enough to help the feeble up, but to support them after. ~ William Shakespeare

Also, there is no knowing how valuable today's post might be to those who DO do their research and come across it at some later date.

The book you don't read won't help. ~ Jim Rohn [or the question you don't ask ....]

So how do you decide who NOT to help? For me, if I detect a sense that someone feels we are obligated to help, or the person in seeming need feels entitled to our help, I usually adopt a 'wait and see' attitude. Lol - it's ok for ME to feel I'm obligated to help when I can, but not ok for someone else to feel I'm obligated. I also don't mind 'spoon-feeding' information when it's technical and obscure - difficult to access on the net or in books unless you know how/where to look; but when I see a pattern that illustrates a person isn't willing to take a hand in their own fate, it's a turn-off. One exemption to that rule is when you come across someone who may lack the ability to effectively do their own research. I get a number of folks like that in my email because they are uncomfortable in a more public venue.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Sometimes, a plea for help or information is followed by argument or defensive attitude. I detected some of that in the first of TGs posts so decided to 'wait & see'. I also noticed that in the same vein, some of the more experienced members have politely and fairly hinted at a little bit of frustration at such an inexperienced beginner dispensing authoritative advice, which is understandable. Those of us who are truly here for others feel protective of our fellow growers. We don't want to see them spinning their wheels down a dead-end path, or worse, convinced to take a path that will in all probability end in a setback or an end result that detracts from the growing experience instead of enhancing it.

The destroyer of weeds, thistles and thorns is a benefactor, whether he soweth grain or not. ~ Robert Ingersoll (one of my favorites)

We all get something different from the forums, with lots of common ground. I think a few of the things that bring us to the forums are:
    * to learn and improve our skill set - test our ideas/theories
    * a wont to help and nurture other growers - teach
    * social interaction
    * nourish the id
    * Idol is over

Some arrive searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there. Who can resist lending a hand? Questions are a big part of that, and there are a lot of people who aren't confident enough in what they know to trust their own instincts when it comes to sorting out the inevitably conflicting information they'll find in their research ..... so they depend on us to further their confliction. ;-) Just kidding. When they come here, they can see/hear different perspectives discussed and select the one that seems to make the most sense. It's not a perfect system, but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

In some ways, I can relate to what Chemgardener said. Recently, a new member showed up, asked a couple of questions, and received answers and more. One question was very vague, referring to what else might have been done to give the plant the best shot at good health, so I offered links to a considerable volume of easy to digest information about the plant.

There is no use whatever trying to help people who do not help themselves. You cannot push anyone up a ladder unless he is willing to climb himself. ~ Andrew Carnegie

The person apparently didn't bother to take the initiative to look at the links provided that certainly would have held the answer to all the questions and more. Instead, the person expressed frustration that he/she didn't hear what was expected with no effort on his/her part. I think, at least for me, someone that seems to exhibit this trait needs to illustrate a willingness to take part in helping himself in order to trigger the wont to help.

Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm, as you get older, remember you have another hand: The first is to help yourself, the second is to help others. ~ Audrey Hepburn

Al