o
RE: Plant ID- just bought it from IKEA

bird nest fern

o

cool, thanks

o

Hi Khourshed, that's an Asplenium scolopendrium, Hart's-tongue Fern (syn. Phyllitis scolopendrium), a hart is a deer. It's evergreen, quite tough,tolerates cold well, no direct hot sun, can be planted outdoors in some areas, there's Asplenium scolopendrium var. Americanum too, which is smaller, but I think u got the European one (Ikea!), I also got one here in Berlin, Germany! Best wishes,
AlexVlad

o

Definitely an Asplenium species, but could be nidus, the Bird's Nest Fern. These have been bred and numerous forms developed. So difficult to say which one yours actually is.

But if it is A. nidus then it won't take cold as much as some of the other species. They are a warm climate rainforest plant.

o

I'm no fern buff but Hart's Tongue is a pretty common native round here and I have some in the garden. It doesn't grow straight up out of the ground like the one in the picture, but has dark brown, almost black stems. Also the fronds are longer and narrower with very pronounced veining. It is stiff and leathery. Handy in the garden because it's evergreen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here