Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reedandleaf

Mini Pothos?

reedandleaf
10 years ago

Hey Everybody,
I was wondering if anyone knew of anything comparable to a mini pothos. I love how accommodating my dear little pothos are. They are adaptable, undemanding, and good growers. I would love to find something similar but smaller. The best I have found is a mini aroid from Black Jungle Terrarium Supply, but it does not look as though it would have the same growth habit or performance in low light situations. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Comments (7)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

You might like Philodendron 'Micans', pictured with much bigger leaves than my purchased plant had, or has produced after having it for about a year. So far, a much smaller plant than regular heart-leaf Philo.

Scindapsis might also appeal.

Ceropegia?

• stewartsjon
    10 years ago

Scindapsis Pictus, as linked to above, are great.

In the UK, old hands like me call Pothos 'Scindapsis' as a common usage name, though if ordering them Epipremnum is what we should call them.

The only thing called Pothos is the artificial version, for some reason.

• reedandleaf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much for your thoughtful suggestions :) I will definitely look for some Philodendron 'Micans.' The Scindapsis Pictus is lovely as well.
    Thanks also for the note on naming; useful and fun to learn. I wonder if the artificial "pothos" are made in the U.S., where that name is common for both artificial and live.
    Thanks again and cheers :)

10 years ago

Apparently and understandably, people used to go a little crazy crossing the ocean...? Water blurred the notes? Adoption of names already in existence with natives? ...current times... marketing gimmick? Fascinating to discuss the common names, but YAY for pics on the WWW so we can discuss a same plant for sure, by whatever name!

You've come to the right place to be enabled, Reed, how big is your place?

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Another pretty mini is Syngonium.
    This miniature is called S. 'Pixie.' It comes from China.

Reaches 8-10"..leaves are round opposed to other Syngoniums. Leaf color is green with gold centers.

Home Depot had S. Pixies on sale, in an ornate pot w/decorations..Guess they didn't sell well, because they were marked down to 3.00.

Toni

• reedandleaf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purpleinopp:
    Place in the universe: very small. Bricks and mortar: also very small :) Astute question! In fact, one of the reasons for this inquiry is that I am trying to scale the furniture, paintings, and plants in the rooms a bit smaller so that the house feels a little roomier.
    Thank you for enabling! The only thing better than playing with plants is playing with plants while eating double chocolate cheesecake. Double chocolate cheesecake anyone?
    Thanks again (to Hopefulauthor too) and cheers!

10 years ago

Oh, interesting and worthy goal! I haven't studied foliage size effect on space perception but used to sell furniture, so have some familiarity with folks doing this. (And way too much experience with chocolate and cheesecake that still somehow doesn't seem sufficient, more research is needed there...!)

Light colored walls, no clutter, clean-lined furniture with no dust ruffles or fat arms, mirrors, multi-functional pieces like storage ottoman, pops of bright colors. Hanging pictures slightly too low, and not all at the same height, to make the ceiling seem higher.

I think a mini garden would make a room seem bigger. You've asked for low light, but do you have a bright spot by a window (if interested in that idea?) The tiny plants appropriate for them tend to need tons of sun.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH