Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanabeth

Ideal houseplant for...

lizbeth-gardener
9 years ago

Am looking for a houseplant that will be sitting on a dark wood mantle in a east facing window with strong morning sun. I would like something that vines, has some color or variegation and is not too difficult to keep alive. Any suggestions?

edtied to correct window direction.

This post was edited by lizbeth-gardener on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 16:52

Comments (11)

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

You're sure that's a West window? That's all I have & I only get afternoon sun.

Seems to me morning sun is likelier an East window.

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Depends on which hemisphere, pirate girl.

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Really Lauraeli, why would that be?

Having grown up in the Southern Hemisphere, I assure you there too, the Sun rose in the East & set in the West (& still does).

This post was edited by pirate_girl on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 13:39

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Oh, duh. I was thinking of north and south :-)

Or that magical land that i used to live in...Opposite Land.

• lizbeth-gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, it's just my brain today! It is an east window.

This post was edited by lizbeth-gardener on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 16:50

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Sorry Liz,

Well, now that we've cleared that up, I only grow in West windows, so sadly, I have no info to share.

Give it a little time here, others will chime in who do, of that I'm certain.

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Devil's Ivy (golden pothos) is a workhorse. It can grow in morning sun just fine as long as you acclimate it. It can pretty much grow anywhere. It doesnt die easily.

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Or, wandering jew. Mine does best if I start a new plant every year. It keeps it bushy. All you have to do is cut all the branches back and put them in a jar of water. They grow tons of roots pretty much right away. Then you stick them in a pot of dirt again, and voila! And it grows quickly. I have even left the cuttings in the jar all winter before planting them and they werent harmed.

• rooftopbklyn (zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Great suggestions, perfectly meeting OP's requirements.

I have grown tradescantia zebrina (wandering jew) in an east window successfully all year round. I too generally propagate new ones each spring, as they can get a bit leggy over the winter. I don't usually bother with water rooting, just cut off a few tips and stick them straight in dirt (media/whatever). But either method works fine for this plant.

I also have a classic variegated spider plant growing quite happily in an east window - it doesn't really "vine", but it does trail nicely, and the little babies it makes are cute. This one doesn't need to be rebuilt each year, but it will grow pretty big if you keep it happy, so be prepared.

• paul_
    9 years ago

I'd suggest Hoya, like H. carnosa 'Krimson Queen'.

While not viners, there are also orchids that would likely do fine there.

• lizbeth-gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laure and Rooftop-thanks for the suggestions and info on how to propagate the wandering jew. I have actually had both plants (wandering jew & pothos) in the past, but am in a different house and for the longest time have only had one plant. I miss the green and want to add some life to my house! The spider plant is another one I do like.

Paul: The one plant I have was a gift in a basket of several plants and the only one that survived (four years). I think it is in the Hoya family and I just love it. i googled for an image of the H. carnosa 'Krimson Queen' and love it too. I saw a plant last week in wal-mart that looked like KQ and appeared to be very healthy, but no ID tags, so was afraid I might not have the right growing conditions. Now I've got to go back and see if it's still there. I did notice one (KQ) on e-bay that says to keep it out of direct light if you want to keep the variegation. Is that true? I really like variegated plants!