Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drooping Umbrella Plant

Posted by jesicah03 IA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 11:40

I recently received a dwarf umbrella plant that was sent to my family as a gift. The leaves began to fall off and now the ones remaining are very droopy and some of the stalks have become mushy (very soft, wrinkly and droopy) at the top. The coloring of the plant is generally fine (one or two tips have browned a little). The other day when trying to figure out what was wrong two of the stalks came right out of the soil, they were completely unattached. It receives a little bit of direct sunlight in the morning and is in bright light for the rest of the day. I'm unsure if I'm overwatering it, or maybe the soil (MiracleGro) that I have it in is not appropriate. The pot does have a drainage hole. Also, how do I go about pruning? Do I cut off the bad parts of the actual stalk or just eliminate the leaf branches? Any help would be great, this plant really looks pathetic and it's stressing me out!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drooping Umbrella Plant

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 15:16

You're far better off to let this plant go completely dry before you water than to keep it continually wet. I wouldn't worry about pruning anything (unless it's rotted roots) until you are able to get the plant back on track. It really does sound like the plant is pretty far gone & may not be salvageable. Probably the best road to recovery, if it is to recover, would be to sink the whole planting (pot & all) in the garden or beds & lift it in Aug after it's recovered and repot.

Al

o

I assume it's overwatering especially since you said it was in MG soil. DO what Al said and maybe it will come back, but quite possibly not.

o

• Posted by lali z9, Sunset z18, CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 3, 09 at 2:44

I would agree with the overwatering. I have my dwarf umbrella plants outside in full sun with minimal watering and it's doing great. I also have others indoors which I let the soil dry out almost completely. They definitely do not like overly moist soil.

Are you in a region where you could let it stay outside in bright light (not direct sun) so that it can recover? This way, the soil can dry out a bit and the plant can get some light that it needs.

lali

o

I could try sitting it outside...I think I'm almost willing to cut my losses though and just put it to rest. It's down to two stalks and I'm pretty sure one of them is getting ready to bite the dust. I'm almost wondering if it wasn't dying before I got it. What's weird is that the plant generally looks fine, I'll just wake up one morning and the stalks will be drooping and then a day or so later they come right out of the soil.

o

jesicah, container plants are a renewable resource! Don't feel bad about pitching a plant that you feel is not worth the effort of saving. It does sound like an advanced case of root rot, to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here