Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alocasia Leaves Turning Yellow...I Need Help!!

Posted by uniquelydivine 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 11:40

Hi Everyone,

I've had an Alocasia for about a year now. It's been doing great but about a month or two ago I noticed some of its leaves turning yellow.

I thought that it was just the cycle of life and nothing was wrong. Recently, more leaves have been turning yellow and eventually dry up.

New leaves are coming out but I am concerned about the yellowing. Most of the tips of the leaves are yellow as well. Some of the leaves are also bending down and leaning towards the floor instead of standing upright (pics below). Why is this?

What am I doing wrong? What can I do to solve the problem. Please help. Thank you.

Pics below:

Yellow leaves:

Another angle of the yellow leaves:

Look how the leaves are hanging down (left side of plant):

Another angle of the drooping leaves (left side):

Right side of the plant (leaves look great and are standing):

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alocasia Leaves Turning Yellow...I Need Help!!

I am no expert, but alocasias are not the easiest plants to take care of. They require quite moist conditions (air humidity). It also may be time to have a look at the roots, since the plant has grown quite big - it might need new soil and a bigger pot.

o

I see outside leaves turning yellow - the oldest. it's normal for old leaves to die, the new ones should be on the way. the other leaves look good to me.

o

If it's only the old leaves, and the new leaves are good, then it's just the normal process of senescence. But make sure your soil isn't staying too wet. Some Alocasias like to stand in water, some will die in it. Yours are in the category of not liking it wet, they just need it damp.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here