Air Plant ID

teengardener1888
10 years ago

please tell me what var.

Comments (13)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Teen,
    I'm by no means an expert on these, but that looks like one I've seen called 'Medusa,' with less than curly leaves (In some pictures, I've seen really curly ones and in others, more straighter like yours).

Planto

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the response.I heard tisslandias are supposed to br misted a couple times a week. is this correct

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Looks kind of like Thillandsia bulbosa There a Bromeliad terrestrial plant AKA Air plant..

I heard they're not very forgiven if over watered or if under watered or in a room with low humidity room or to high in humidity.
    Mist X 2 is at best fancy fiction from it's seller they have not a clue what your room is like.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Mike,
    Is "bulbosa" and "medusa" the same? They look alike when I checked for pictures of both online. Might be one of those you say potatoe, I say potato kinds of things... again, not an expert on these so they could be completely different air plants haha.

Teen,
    I have to agree with Mike, it depends on the amount of humidity you have in your house. I misted mine twice a week and soaked it once a week for 30 minutes. But, what worked for me, may be too much or too little for you. Not that this helps, but you might have to find out the amount of humidity you have in your house and go from there. I stuck it outside and watered it the same amount, not thinking, and it started turning yellow from being overwatered (higher humidity outside).

Planto

• auron22
    10 years ago

TG,
    I'm thinking it is medusae. Bulbosa looks too spindly.

I believe our tillandsia are similar, if not the same. With a spray bottle filled with distilled water, I lightly mist my tillandsia every morning. About 2-3 times a week I heavily mist them until completely soaked, gently shake off excess water and then hang them upside down to dry. Once a month, I lightly spray them with liquid bromeliad fertilizer (17-9-22). They get bright, indirect sunlight. Like what the others mentioned, your watering regimen will greatly depend on the climate. Be sure to keep a close eye on your plant until you know what it likes.

When I first started handling my tillandsia, I used the dunking method of watering. It wasn't too long afterwards that my ionantha and medusae started having "bald" spots. There are too many variables for me to confidently say the dunking caused this, but if you do this just be careful.

If your still unsure how to care for it, have any further questions, or would just like another opinion I would try the bromeliad forum. Not the most active, but they are probably the most experienced. I am no expert on them either, I've only had them for around 6 months. What I know about them is from internet research and personal experience, so my info isn't that reliable...

Here is my medusae (?) getting ready to flower.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They do look similar, hope mines flower

Does it need any pedestal

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Teen,
    You can put it on/in just about anything. I had mine in the plastic cup that comes with Pepto Bismol (hey, it's the only thing I had small enough). You could sit it in a tiny clay pot even. My Mother bought a glass container, filled it with pretty rocks, and stuck hers in that.

Planto

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    10 years ago

can i put it in a small glass container filled with sand, I would remove it for watering to avoid rot

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Teen,
    Sure! Just make sure it's completely dry before you place it back in the container (I noticed you said you'd remove it for watering, but just to be sure... you want it dry before you place it back). My Mother also had another glass container with that decorative colored sand (the non-toxic kind) in it for one of her other air plants.

Planto

• auron22
    10 years ago

As long as the spot you put them does not restrict too much airflow, you can place them anywhere. You can also mount them on things like driftwood.
    This link will show you my tillandsia setup, they don't seem to mind white sand.

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

I have several air plants including both Medusae and Bulbosa, and the way I've been watering them for a long time now and they seem to enjoy it is I soak them in a bowl full of water for about an hour once a week, then air dry them and return back to their homes. I even have a few blooming for me.

• auron22
    10 years ago

Agh....forgot link. Second time now. Should I be worried? lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Tillandsia setup (Flickr)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

As far as I can tell, this one I've had for a few months is happy between the trunks of this little tree.