Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcgyvr2009i

What is the easiest way to get rid of scale on C. Cataractarum?

mcgyvr2009i
10 years ago

I am glad I have separated a sucker from my cluster of Cat Palms and now that I did, it should be much easier and less time consuming. I have a cat palm that is about 1' tall and it has scales.

I have read a ton of posts regarding this issue and the suggestion was to toss the plant to the curb. Fat chance.

Is there a way that I can fight the scale? Has ANYONE ever successfully removed scale? I know how to keep it down to a minimum but that "minimum" will probably not be "minimum enough" on a small palm. Can you tell me what to do to remove Scale altogether if there is a way? Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• stewartsjon
    10 years ago

One of the Neonicotinoids, like Thiachloprid.

Repeatedly.

If they aren't banned where you are.

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Why would they be banned?

• stewartsjon
    10 years ago

The EU have just banned them, as there is a suspicion they are behind the collapse in the bee population.

They are wrong in my opinion, but hey ho.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Mcg... There are numerous, chemical insecticides around.
    I for one do not use chemicals, unless absolutely necessary.

I've repeated my experience with scale, GW members are probably tired of hearing.. :)

I've sucessfully killed and never again seen scale on my plants for years..

In 1999, I bought an Olive tree from an online nursery.
    Tree arrived at night. I placed the tree in-between two citrus trees.

I 'usually' mist plants daily, but for some reason I skipped the following day..
    Two days later, while spraying, I noticed a brown bump on the olive tree.
    I walked up to inspect and discoverd olive PACKED w/scale.
    From top to bottom foliage.

Not only were scale on the olive tree, but also moved to the nearest citrus branches.

I recalled a woman who owns a citrus nursery in Fl telling me she uses Fish Emulsion as a scale preventative.
    I phoned her, explained the situation..she gave me dosage instructions.

1 capful Fish Emulsion and about 16oz, 'give or take,' water.

I mixed FE and water, then sprayed away..I sprayed the olive, citrus and other neighboring plants...in case.

Honest to God, within 24-hours, all signs of scale were gone. Erased for good

I don't remember if it was 3-days or 1-week later, but I spayed a second applicaton.

To this day, I've never found scale on any plant, and I have quite a few.

The only problem with FE is it has a fishy odor, but the smell only lasts 2-3 days, 'indoors.'
    Besides, it's worth the odor if scale appear on a favorite plant/s.

Fish Emulsion is organic, and mainly used to fertilize plants. FE won't burn leaves or roots since it's chemical-free.

There are other oils, but they don't fertillize..So, I think, spraying with FE as completing two jobs.

In autumn, I spray summered, outdoor plants w/FE and other non-chemical items so scale and mites die before bringing back indoors. I also spray with this mix on plants that remain inside year round.

Good luck, Toni

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Thiacloprid is very toxic. It shouldn't be recommending it for a house plant.

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hopefulauthor,

Does this product work on a plant that is packed with scale leaf to root? My Cat Palm is the one with the worst infestation of scale. Can you tell me if it works on a plant that is like that?

I love my plants and I really don't want to trash them. Thanks.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Tony,
    Thanks for the advise. Will add to my list of weapons. I have been using neem oil to great suscess.
    Stush
    I never had scale on inside plants but don't want to temp fate.