Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

What is the best Gardenia to grow?

meyermike_1micha
15 years ago

I was wondering... Is there a Gardenia that can be grown indoors in winter and outdoors in summer, that is more hardier, easier to grow than another? One that is less prone to insects, root disease, then flowers profusely, with larger than normal flowers? In other words, what does anyone suggest, as the easiest, most fragrant, most resilant, less stressed, and beautiful Gardenia to grow as a houseplant/outdoors for the summer?

Does anyone have the name of one?

Is there such a thing? I heard "miami supreme", I could be wrong.. Thanks so much!! Mike

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Gardenias are notoriously famous for being very difficult to grow inside, unless you have the right conditions. They prefer a very humid and cool environment.

However, lots of folks have tried it! I'll link you to the 'search' of gardenias in this forum and you can study up on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here!

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Mike, I can't give you a name, but the best and easiest Gardenia to grow is one that is grafted and tree-shaped. Much easier than small, bush-like plants.
    My tree gardenia was bought locally in the mid 90's. Blooms whenever it feels like it.
    Rhizo is correct though..in winter they need humid and cool conditions, but with a little effort the perfect environment can be accomplished. Humidfers, spraying, and inspecting for pests. If you have a room where temps are 68F or less, add a humidifer, shower plant wkly, and mist daily, you'll be surprised how nice they grow..
    During growing season, I use Azalea fertilizer and Epsom Salts. I do not mist when 'denias in bud/flower. The cooler the room, the longer the flower lasts. Cool temps also promote flowers. 'denias prefer acidic soils, but that can be accomplished by potting in correct mediums. That's it..Toni

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,

Oh that it were that simple!!!!!!!!! ;>)

(PG) Karen

• bihai
    15 years ago

Gardenias are easy to grow here and are a lot more heat tolerant and cold tolerant than you would think from reading a lot of the written culture data that exists.

We grow them outdoors here in pretty much full sun. Summertime temps here are 85-100F (it has been in the high 90's for over a week with this heat wave). Our lows in summer at night are around 70.

In winter our highs range from 55-75 and lows are usually about 40-50 unless we get a frost.

My gardenias have survived hard freezes of 20F without any problem whatsoever, even though gardenias are listed as zone 9-10 plants with a minimum cold tolerance of about 60F.

I think the most common problems people have with them indoors is the same problem you have with hibiscus indoors:

providing adequate humidity and light

Gardenias need very high humidity, and indoors they need FULL SUN. That's hard to accomplish inside unless you have a dedicated grow room with a glass ceiling or skylights like a conservatory where you don't mind running a humidifier for plants.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thankyou so much everyone. I think I will enjoy mine for the summer, they look so awsome, until the first of fall comes, and then I suffer depression until the first day I can put them out again..lol NOt this year. If you see me doing this,,kick me
    I guess, I'll have to have a new resolution!! Ready!!
    When the winter comes, I may never be able to grow my plants as nice as this time of year,but if I can at least keep them alive, that is all that matters.
    I will try not to let yellowing leaves, falling leaves, diing branches, or attack by insects discourage me. If I made them at least survive this past winter, then spring and summer will do all the healing they need to look vibrant once again!
    At least my plants don't look as bad as the ones outside in the winter, dead looking until they flush with new growth at the rebirth of spring!:-)
    I just need to keep my prized indoor plants well enough to survive another cold winter...Not looking forward to it though.
    Ever notice that, everytime you bring them indoors from a long nice summer, we have more than when we started out with, and less space to put them in, and then the worrying begins...lol ..Arggg

• snasxs
    15 years ago

Risking to create enemies, I want to disagree with the scripts from rhizo, Toni and bi_hai. First of all, check out my Gardenias before you listen to me.

To put it simple, cool temperature with evenly and persistently moist soil is the way to kill a Gardenia.

During winter indoors, I only water my plants when the "soil humidity meter" says dry everywhere. You can move a plant from a cool-dark place to a warmer-bright place. The other way is risky. In summer outdoors, you should water more frequently if the temperature is hot. Remember to fertilize properly.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Hi Karen, how ya doing?

Snasxs.. You don't risk enemeies..you're just stating your opinion.
    When you say cool temps will kill a Gardenia, how cool are you talking? Cool as in 60F? Less? More?
    IMO, Gardenias live comfortably between 50-90F. I also agree they do well in full sun, which is one problem people (in northern/cold states) face in winter..Lack of sun, humidity, AND fresh, circulating air. One reason insects attack is because there isn't any air in our homes, to circulate..LOL.
    But I have to disagree cool temps kill them. Extreme cold, yes, but cool?
    We northerners have to contend with artificial heat, lack of sun and dry air. Thankfully we have the options to improve conditions. And even then, most people lose their 'denias..When avialable at the market, their sold left and right, since the majority here grow as annuals, then toss in fall.
    Back to cool vs heat. It may be coincidence, but my 'denias bloom more and keep longer when temps range between 60-65F.
    In winter, 'denias are kept in a room with a south picture-window and artifical light. Temps vary, but remain cool. If I had to depend on the LR where it's warm, (gas-heat warm,) my denia would have kicked the bucket long ago.
    BTW, Snasxs, what is a soil humidity meter? Is it a combo of two guages, (soil and humidity) or something else? Toni
    Wanted to add, your Gardenia is very nice..Vibrant green, so much so it looks like you sprayed with Leaf Shine..lol Toni

• ankraras
    15 years ago

'The best Gardenia to grow'color>

One that you have a knack for culturing is the best one. ;-]

Here are a few of mine, alright I cheated there are more than one!

{{gwi:7760}}

• snasxs
    15 years ago

Toni, I donÂt know what Leaf Shine is. Is there really a product called Leaf Shine?! Lol. I donÂt use any of such ridiculous-sounding things.

Soil-humidity meter is something you stick into the soil to test humidity. It is not the air-humidity meter.

I agree that cool temperature keeps Gardenia flowering longer.

But from my experience, as long as the root is healthy, the plant can take low humidity and dry heat.

Again, this is the result of my personal experiment. The believed requirements for Gardenias are not necessary. If the roots are not happy, the plant is sick - period. If the roots are happy, the plant goes strong. Only if you have healthy roots, the light, humidity, temperature and fertilizer can work.

• growdan
    14 years ago

What type is the most fragrant/best smelling Gardenia?

I live in (10-11) zone and need the most fragrant Gardenia that can take the heat with no chill.

GrowDan

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County