Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SOS Gerbera...

Posted by Carochinha 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 11:50

Someone gifted my mom a Gerbera plant a month ago or so, and somehow it turned into this. Does someone have any idea of what I could do to bring it back to life? I don't think it's really dead.

I don't know anything about gardening. I know they need sun and water. That's literally it. If you start talking about fertilizer brands and chemical things, I probably won't understand a word. Sorry.

I live in a Mediterranean climate. If you could please help me (with simple instructions), I would be really thankful!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SOS Gerbera...

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 16:05

The odds greatly favor the probability the plant has succumbed to a malady called crown rot. This happens frequently with African Daisies when they are over-watered or planted too deep. Unfortunately, once it's taken hold, there is little you can do. The bright side is, not that you've asked the question, you'll know they should be left to become quite dry before watering. I wouldn't exactly campaign for allowing the plants to wilt slightly before you water, because that induces drought stress, which robs potential; but I would offer that it would be better to under-water to the point where you see the first signs of wilt before watering, than it would be to over-water. Neither is good practice, but under-watering is the lesser of the evils.

Al

o
RE: SOS Gerbera...

Oh, thank you so very much!! I'll start doing that and see if I can still salvage this plant!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here