Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tisha_

I know this is a long-shot, but... please help with ID

tisha_
11 years ago

I'm in charge of all inventory at my job (yes, all...lol) so I'm currently in the process of listing all of the fake trees and plants. I need help with an ID for one last tree. I'm really not at all sure what type it's supposed to be. My best guess so far, is a Fiddle Leaf Fig. Any other ideas? Please see the link at the bottom, for the image. Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to the tree in question

Comments (14)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Ficus plastica cv. lyrata....Fake Fiddle Leaf Fig.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Plasticus silkiphyllum in that form. Alive, I think you're right, Ficus lyrata.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Tisha, lol..
    Naming fake trees! lol

How have you been?

Looks like a Fiddle to me, too, only w/o the fiddle shape. The leaves resemble Calathea, Roseo Picta, also.

What type of plant would that make? Fiddlepicta? lol. Toni

• tisha_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know, right? I know you're all totes jealous of my awesome job today. lol
    Thanks for the help, everyone. This was the last (out of 26) for my to ID. It was driving me nuts.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Tisha, actually, it's not a bad job. It's different but interesting.

Out of 26, were any rare specimens?

• tisha_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nope. Not really. Unless a fake Mediterranean Olive is considered rare. lol

11 years ago

I saw a fake Ficus benjamina once that had shed a bunch of its fake leaves! Someone had picked up the leaves and piled them in the container. Now THAT'S realism for ya.

11 years ago

That's funny! I resisted the urge to buy a really cute little variegated one of these yesterday. Like I need any more leaves on the floor (or in pots) this winter. Whew! Close call.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Gotta love fake Ficus. lol. Especially when they drop fake leaves.

Rhizo, are you joking or did this really happen? If it's true, why would fake leaves fall and why did someone collect them? lol.

Purple..you should have bought it. lol.
    I don't understand why some believe Ficus shed leaves. Mine never do.
    Even back when I summered Ficus outdoors, then brought back in, leaves remained where they were meant to be.

I'm not saying I'm a better indoor-gardener. I'm NOT.
    Times leaves drop on 'any' plant is when I get lazy and soil dries to the point of cracking.

The poor Ficus has a bad reputation..lol.

11 years ago

It does have a bad reputation and I'm pretty sure it would be happy here, but was not supposed to be buying plants, so I didn't. Not that it didn't take nerves of steel..! Man it was a cute little thing.

This had me cracking up so hard earlier I called my Mom to ask her if the fake tree she used to have was a F. benjamina. She said it was and I told her about this discussion and then we were BOTH laughing. The leaves used to fall off of her tree, too, and the reason she eventually threw it out was because so many leaves were missing.

11 years ago

Toni, I am NOT joking. It was in a commercial building. I'm assuming that the poor tree was much abused....moved around, bumped into, used as a door stop, etc. When the leaves fell, someone would just pick them up and toss them in the closest receptacle...its own container. Of course, I've seen LOTS of real ficus with their dead leaves piled up in the pot. Fess up, everybody!!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, it had to be difficult passing up. How many times did you look at the Ficus before making that final decision?
    I've done the same thing. After getting home, X plant stayed on my mind.
    In fact, that's how I ended up with Chlorophytum Fire Flash. lol.
    I saw it at the grocery store, put it back on the shelf..Got home, wondering what type of plant I didn't get. The following day went back to the store...it was gone.
    A week or so later, dh and I went shopping for 'groceries.' I described the plant to him, non-stop, lol.
    Would you believe HE found it! lol. He goes, is this the plant?
    It was hidden behind, of all things, 'FAKE' plants. Plastic leaves and flowers. lol

So, Purple, you have to have nerves of steel. lol.

Rhizo..That IS funny. Possibly, with today's progress, computers doing jobs humans once did, robotical plants are turning, HUMAN!!!??? LOL.

11 years ago

OMG this is tooo funny!

Toni, your dh sounds so sweet! And YES, it's still on my mind! I picked it up several times, went elsewhere, came back, carried it around a bit, I may or may not have said a few words to him it.

Going to help my son clean his room... (humming John Waite, "I ain't missin you at all! No matter what I might say, Ain't miss you, I can lie to myself...)