Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greybird_keke

Cissus quadrangularis cuttings

greybird_keke
10 years ago

A few months ago, I started some C. quadrangularis cuttings....they finally sprouted recently, and once sprouted, they are growing quickly. I've never grown these before, so I am wondering if I should put all in one pot, or plant individually?

Comments (8)

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

What you see is what you get, except that the few leaves will be more prominent. If you want to take care of 4 pots of each, go for it. Will they benefit? Not for a long time.

They either like to climb with their grape plant tendrils, or they will be pendant and fall apart when they are disturbed. You can then either make more pots of them, or clump some of them and discard the 100 pieces extra that you will have in 3 years.

• greybird_keke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your input, Dzitmoidonc! I get the idea these might not be among your favorite plants :) I actually got these cuttings when a pendant plant was disturbed and it fell apart!! So maybe I will try to support these with a small trellis and see if they will hold together better that way. The plant these cuttings came from had been kept dry and didn't even have any leaves.

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

These are used in Indian (from India) medicine, I forget how. A leaf will grow at each joint. In the dry season they fall off.

Had one for a few years, I decided to thin the collection by several hundred plants, this was one eliminated. I have some older ladies who yard sale all the time, I give them my rejects, they sell them. They are poor ladies who don't even have a phone, so they get a few bucks, I get rid of anything I don't want. Win-win.

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

I liked this plant when I first spotted it - and haven't seen it since locally. I have also taken some cuttings, singly, but will probably combine now I've read the comments.
    But I was intrigued to see you propagated them horizontally - how clever. Logical when I thought about it but really great tip.

• Andrea Mueller
    6 years ago

I want to grow this plant in my home. Where can I get a "cutting" of this ? I live in El Dorado Hills, CA

• Laura F (z9FL)
    6 years ago

A grower gave me a piece that fell off his plant a couple of years ago. It grew. Only recently have I tried to "do" something with it and found that with a little care (it wasn't getting much before) it really does grow fast. I like it and it does have special meaning. The grower who gave it to me was Bob Smoley who died of cancer last year. May he RIP.

• Andrea Mueller
    6 years ago

Thank you so much. I want to grow this plant in my home. Will you be able to share a piece of this plant. I used to live in India and this plant is available in abundance there. The plant has several uses. May I know where you live ?

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    6 years ago

This crazy thing grows really really fast. I grew some yrs. ago; gave it away when it became a space hog.

It grew 14" in either one season or one yr, I forget which. Either way, it was far faster than I could house it. I planted mine vertically, but I see your way works too. They can do well in large, hanging planters (as you seem to have seen), cool plants.