Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geranium Mosquito Shoo so leggy!

Posted by chueh 7b GA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 12:48

My geranium mosquito shoo has grown very fast. Look at it. It's just one year-old, but it grows like crazy,not the way I like. I would really like it bushy but not leggy. This is supposed to be a house plant, which means that it shouldn't need so much light, right? However, anything that grows leggy must be really craving for light. What can I do? Please advice. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geranium Mosquito Shoo so leggy!

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 16:51

Chop it off about 4" above the soil (sharp pruners or knife). It's no big deal, it will break-back all over this time of year - I promise.

Al

o

Thanks. I will chop it, but how do I prevent it to grow the same leggy way in the future?

o

Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 18:14

Chop it again.

Al

o
RE: Geranium Mosquito so leggy!

Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 18:18

If you cut it back to just a few inches tall, you'll get several new stems, When they get to be 18-24" tall, chop those stems back, and you'll get several stems appearing off of EACH of those stems. At that point, you can pick/choose the stems you want to keep (those that enhance your vision of what you want your planting to look like) and what to eliminate (those that don't). You'll quickly get the hang of it.

Al

o

Thanks much

o

And I would totally provide it with a sunnier location.

o

I have tons of this plant, made from one cutting. I live in Ontario and I put mine outside in full sun. This helps them get bushy. I also take lots of cuttings and put them in a hanging basket on the front porch and they are beautiful when they fill out in no time at all.
Hope this helps for your area.
Stacey

o

i bought a houseplant book recently and i kept finding a reference to "pinching". finally i found the page that specified and if you dont want to cut your plant completely off, then " pinch", or clip the end of the branches you wish to grow out rather than up. you basically cut the new, growing part of the stem and force the plant to branch out in order to get sun, instead of questing upward for it. this works for vining plants too, like English Ivy and Philodendrons

o

thanks for the info on leggy mosquito plant...one more question - WHEN should the plant be cut back? (entering fall right now in montana)....thank you for any additional help...

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 15:10

If you're in Montana - for best results, let it go dry/dormant, then cut it back. Store in a cool dark place without watering, all winter long. About 1 month before last frost, repot into fresh, fast-draining soil and keep barely damp. When danger of frost has passed, move it outdoors or in front of a very bright window.

Al

o

Oh lovely! Is it a scented leaf type? And just like Al says, you can chop these hard. BTW its a Pelargonium not a Geranium :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here