Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dragon tree help

Posted by applechelle VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 12:55

After doing research and reading on this forum, I believe I have been over watering my dragon tree. Could this be the reason for the yellow leaves at the bottom? Also, I have been using tap water, which I realize now is a "no-no", and there is a white ring forming at the bottom of the pot. I'm going to repot with more appropriate soil. Do I need to use a bigger pot or just use the same one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dragon tree help

That's an especially nice one, IMO. I have every love possible for the single-stem entity, but the multi-tip, full type is great when it looks that good.

You're right, Dracaenas are sensitive to tap water chemicals. Rain water, distilled, or the condensate from a dehumidifier would be great.

If that's a clay pot, I'd probably trim the roots so it would fit back in this pot. It still looks proportionate, that's plenty of room for roots for a tree that size, and your tree will appreciate the way the clay breathes/dries out more quickly than plastic.

It's normal for the lowest leaves to be discarded on these, the goal is to try to keep it so new ones grow in much more quickly, and that the tips don't go brown on the good leaves long before they turn yellow and shed. Getting away from tap water, at least when it's warm enough outside to catch rain water, has helped my trees in that way a lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here