Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with variegated rubber plant

Posted by chinabeach (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 13:01

Good afternoon all
I have a variegated rubber plant that is infected with spider mites I am getting rid of them but have had to cut a lot of leaves that were damaged, if I cut it back all the way to remove what is left of the leaves will it grow back. Right now it does look a little sad with the leaves only at the top and nothing else. Please help
Thank you Chinabeach

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with variegated rubber plant

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 16:48

How well the plant back-buds depends on the time of the year and the plant's state of vitality. The time of year is right, but because the plant has been struggling with mites, it's almost certain its vitality level will be very low and back-budding unenthusiastic if you were to chop it.

You probably need to take a more holistic approach and ask yourself why the mites were able to get a hold. You'll probably find an issue related to the soil or condition of the roots as the underlying cause - it typically is.

Pruning off the growing tip and the last (the youngest)leaf that emerged will force some back-budding; but even though you can't see it, the roots are the heart of the plant and the top can do nothing w/o root approval. You need to be sure the roots are happy, or your battle will be fought continually on the upslope.

Al

o
RE: Help with variegated rubber plant

Thank you for the help
chinabeach

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here