Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaktuskris

The Indomitable Will to Survive...

kaktuskris
11 years ago

In a pineapple!!! Every time I buy a pineapple I have the urge to save the top, for possible propagation. This time, I had saved two, and this unlucky one got forgotten. When I found it, I saw what appeared to be root nubs, but on further examination appear to be leaf buds...Amazing what a plant will to to survive! Now I will plant it and see how it progresses.

Christopher

Comments (11)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Very cool Chis, I've tried a couple of times w/out success. It IS amazing how determined they are to survive. Hope you'll update us in future, good luck!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Me too, PG. Maybe it's good to let them dry out a bit first? Looks like it. About how long did you forget it, Christopher? (If you can remember!) LOL! Puts my carrot tops to shame.

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think it was well over a month it lay forgotten, drying up...The crown looks dead, so I guess leaf buds from where the roots should grow was a last ditch effort at survival...Hope it continues to grow for me!

Christopher

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hey Christopher,

The pineapple's roots/nubs look good. Will you plant in a pot or outside?

Whichever, after your pineapple is established, you'll see new leaf growth.

Only once was I successful growing pineapple. Be careful when watering. Pineapple's are Bromiliads, crown and roots are touchy. Treat as a succulent.

Will you water/fertilize inside the vase or soil?

Oh, how are you? lol. Toni

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Toni!

I just stuck it in a small pot with some some bark and watered it...When roots develop, I will put it in a proper potting mix. As I said, leaf buds appear to be forming from where the roots should grow. I will be interested to see how it develops, it would be so cool if it developed multiple crowns. It is doing this because the central crown is dead, so like a beheaded cactus it is sending out new growth points. That is my theory, anyway!

By the way, I am OK, still the same problems, but my son graduated high school and will be off to college next month. Hope you are doing fine...

Christopher

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here it is a week later, and it is growing well. I count at least 10 crowns forming. If this continues to grow, it will be unlike any pineapple plant I have ever seen...

Christopher

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

That's REALLY COOL!! And congrats on your son's graduation.

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! And when it comes to some plants, I think blind neglect yields unexpected results...

Christopher

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Christopher,

Truly amazing!!!

Please keep us posted... can't wait to see what hsppens!!

Congratulations on your son's graduation!! My son just graduated from College.. where does the time go?

This is a great "will to survive"

Take good care,

Laura

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Christopher. Your pineapple is amazing.
    Did you unpot to post the pic? Reason I'm asking, it's so clean. lol.

The new growth is strange, 'in a good way.' I've rooted a couple pineapples over the years but Never saw anything like yours.
    Next time pineapples are on sale, think I'll buy one. lol.

Congrats on your sons graduation. A proud day!!

Where does the time go? Kindergarten to College. Crayons to cologne.

Anyway, I for one would like to see pics of your pineapple as it progresses.

Hi Purple, Laura....

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello and thanks, Laura and Toni:

Yes, I truly did not know that root buds could change into leaf buds. I just stuck it into a tiny clay pot with some pine bark, and the leaves on the new growth are already greening up...Just trying to imagine a pineapple plant with ten crowns, hope it can grow into a nice specimen.

Where does the time go, indeed? Just yesterday, it seemed, I took my boy to the school yard to play. In August, I take him to Harvard Yard, to go away!

Christopher

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH