Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re-potted cheese plant- in need of help!

Posted by bingmarkbing none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 14:04

Hi there.
I 'rescued' a cheese plant which had been left outside for a while at school.
It is quite a large plant and lots of the leaves were curling and had large brown patches on them. I decided to take the stems of these leaves off the larger stems.
I also repotted the plant into a larger container.

The remaining leaves I had hope would flourish, but are now wilting away too. I had watered it well when repotted, but left the soil to dry out.

I think... I think these are my mistakes- wanted to check if I have done the wrong thing and then what I should do to save it!

1) Taken too many leaves from it, leaving thick stems and roots.
2) Repotted it too roughly, shaking the earth from the roots.
3) Taken the leaves/stems off and then repotted it at the same time- i.e too much of a shock.

I have been mindful to leave it in a relatively sunny room and have started misting it- should I be doing this daily?

Any help or comments would be greatfully apprecitated!

Many thanks,
Mark!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re-potted cheese plant- in need of help!

Your soil looks a little heavy. You could cut it half and half with perlite or gravel. Something bigger than 1/16" (or 1.5 mm if your a metric person) and will not absorb water. You want it so that it will not hold water but be a little damp. if it stays muddy that will likely kill it.

What kind of drainage do you have in that tub? None, or little drainage will kill your plant.

What time frame are you talking about? These can be very slow growing plants for a while and then burst with new growth.

I would not bother misting it. Others might advise it.

o

Another option is to wash all the soil off of it and grow it hydroponically (semi-hydro) in water. If that sounds interesting to you ask and I'll explain it.

o

Plenty of material there to survive.

Stop misting. It does absolutely no good (as far as humidity is concerned).

It needs drainage. The potting mix is too heavy, indeed, although these plants tolerate bad mixes better than other plants. I'd re-pot pronto, using a quality mix.

Josh

o

Yeah, I agree with the others.
It looks like the plant is getting too much water. These plants like really good drainage, and don't like their roots to be wet (unless grown hydroponically à la dellis326...? That's something I hadn't tried before, but it sounds interesting).

You can improve the drainage of the soil by mixing it 1:1 with orchid bark chips (you can buy them at nurseries and hardware stores). That's what I do for my monstera.
Also make sure there are plenty of drainage holes at the bottom of the tub.

o

Just to add to the conversation. You brought in a sickly monstera to start with, it can take a while for damage to show so what is happening may still be a result of the treatment at the school. That's the risk you run with rescued plants (although its all the sweeter if they make it). Best of luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here