Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Dragon Tree!

Posted by jbcubed3 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 14:05

Hi,

We have a small Dragon Tree (about 50cm high) and have had him for about a year or so. Recently, about a month now, the leaves have started to yellow - most are still green/slight tints of yellow/brown on the outside.

Was in a 17cm pot it came with

Not sure if over or underwatering, so increased the pot size to 20cm, repotted today and have moved from small kitchen windowsill to the living room window where there's more room.

When repotting the soil was pretty wet, not damp but kind of soaking. We water I would say at most a bowl full every 2-3 days and a general misting.

Not sure what else to do - any tips?

Am not sure if I'm over or underwatering! Do we need to cut off the damaged leaves or just wait and see?

Many thanks! I need to save this poor plant!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Dragon Tree!

It looks like a corn plant to me and if it is they do not like wet soil, they prefer the soil to be on the dry side. Have you started to water it more lately? Others will give you better advice. I let mine dry out completely between waterings.
Christine

o

Agreed, Dracaena fragrans, also sensitive to tap water chemicals. Repotting is a great way to help combat that, by getting rid of the old soil. You can also catch some rain water, use distilled, or the condensate from a dehumidifier or A/C. Keeping it soggy doesn't allow the roots to breathe.

When it has dried significantly, so the whole thing is much more lightweight, water it gently but thoroughly, so water runs out of the holes in the bottom (and is not trapped in a drain saucer.) You can do that at a sink or outside. When it's finished dripping, sitting it back on the saucer is fine. Then repeat the process.

There are many discussions about Dracaena here, besides amount of light, they are very much alike in their water and soil preferences.

That's a really nice looking plant, BTW! It obviously loves that wonderful spot by the window. Keeping the yellow/brown parts trimmed off helps keep it looking great too, IMO. Glad you took a pic of them though, for this discussion.

o

Thanks for the messages :) Since repotting and putting the plant by a different window (with more space), the leaves seem a bit healthier and the soil is still damp so I haven't watered yet.

Still quite a few brown tips though,will those heal?

Also - I'm not sure about the sunlight - is it too close to the window? It's north facing and can get really bright where he is at the moment

o

If it's getting more light in the new location(not really sure about direct sun though) it should be okay.

You're stuck with the brown tips I'm afraid. When they drive me crazy I take scissors to them and trim right up close to the green and at least(to me)it looks a little better. :)

o

North facing is just fine, south would be a whole different story. I do the same as asleep, I cut off the brown tips, it wont harm the plant and it makes it look so much better. Use a fork and rough up the soil a bit so air can get down into the pot and that will help to dry out the soil some, I hope that made some sense to you LOL..
Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here