Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irena0318

Brown spots, holes on Anthurium leaves!

irena0318
13 years ago

I purchased two Anthuriums 3 days ago, one white and one with pink flowers. Brought them home, repotted into slightly larger pot (only by 1", I read that Anthuriums like tight space), put pebbles on the bottom to create good drainage (read that it's important for Anthuriums), put it 5 feet away from a window (no direct sunlight)... seems like I did everything according to the instructions. I have never had these plants before. So, the next day after I bought them one pf them (white) started getting brown spots on leaves. The temp is about 78 in the house, AC is on but doesn't run much, I sprayed it with water since they like humidity. And now, 3 days after I bought it I am hoping I can save the plant. It is not getting better, brown spots on leaves are getting bigger, and now it started getting tine dot looking brown spots as well with yellow circle around it. It is not over watered, soil is moist thou. If anyone can give me an advice on it I'd appreciate very much. I really want to safe this plant. The other one is doing fine by the way. Please help. I have pictures too, just no place to upload them here.

Comments (19)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It sounds like one of the leaf spot fungal diseases, so please stop misting it. Many fungal diseases need a moist incubation period they otherwise would not get unless you're misting and artificially extending it.

They don't like to be tight in the pot, they just don't tolerate wet feet well & a small pot reduces the amount of time it takes for air to return to heavy soils. They do very well if their roots have room to run when you use a fast (draining) well-aerated soil. BTW - the pebbles on the bottom don't promote drainage - just thought you should know that.

If you want to save the plant, you can contact me off forum and I'll tell you what I would do to try to turn it around. Fungal infections are difficult to deal with - you might want to consider returning it for a healthier specimen.

Al

• exoticrainforest
    13 years ago

Just one additional note, the "tight space" information is not valid, at least in science. Seedlings are normally begun in small pots but the plants are stepped up as needed to allow the roots to spread.

Many growers prefer to use an undersized pot in order to force the foliage to grow faster. Healthy plants prefer to have a well developed root system which remains strong. The big trick to getting growing a healthy root system is giving them very loose soil and room to spread.

The minimum size pot I ever use even for small plants is 8 inches and I have quite a few very large Anthurium in 12 inch to 18 inch pots. Even an 18 inch pot can restrict the growth. Take a look at the few photos on the link below. I think you'll see what I mean since many of these plants are not in pots at all.

Again, you won't find any advertising or plants for sale. Check the first few lines on the page.

• nancyanne_2010
    13 years ago

Not to hijack the thread - but what about Anthurium grown on volcano rocks? I rescued one for $5.00 at Lowe's a few months ago. It was done blooming and for $5.00 I could not pass it up. It's now re blooming (I guess not really blooming - but sending up colorful - red - spathes) and it appears very healthy. It goes out (full sun) on nice days (seattle is so far north that "full sun" is much less intense than other parts of the country) - should I plan on planting the rock it is mounted on or just let it continue as is? How should I plan its future?

Thanks,

Nancy

• exoticrainforest
    13 years ago

Nancy, the term "blooming" is just fine as long as the grower understands the flowers are on the spadix and the spathe is not a flower. The true flowers only last two days, possibly three.

This type of growth is known as being lithophytic or riparin growth and some Anthurium species do it naturally. It can work but it requires a lot of diligence. Make sure the volcanic rock stays wet but try to keep the majority of the rots out of the water. There are a few Anthurium species that do grow with their roots attached to rocks but those are not among the normal collectible species.

Plants that grow semi-aquatically in the region separating land and a stream are known as riparians and there are a few Anthurium in that group.

Plants including some Anthurium are also known as rheophytes. Rheophytes include semi-aquatic as well as aquatic plant species which live attached to stones in fast moving currents. The force of the fast moving current creates oxygen-rich water. Rheophytes are able to live in this environment due to their streamlined leaves that produce little resistance to the flow. I know of a few rheophytic Anthurium, but not many.

Add some liquid fertilizer to you water and watch the plant. As long as it remains healthy leave it alone but if it begins to fail just pot it rock and all into a good aroid mix.

Steve

• nancyanne_2010
    13 years ago

Thank you! Your posts are very informative and I saved the info for future use.

• gromova_email_unc_edu
    13 years ago

I also have anthurium. I bought it about 6 month ago, it had several leaves with brown spots and/or holes. It was blooming. Recently, several new leaves grew. They looked fine, but today I noticed that they began having spots on them. Also they are not turning as bright green color as older ones. It is not blooming anymore. I think it might be a fungal disease. How can I help my plant? Please help.
    Anna

• exoticrainforest
    13 years ago

If it is fungal just sprinkle it with cinnamon and rub it in. The kitchen cure is one of the best anti-fungal meds you can use and is commonly used by aroid growers.

Steve

• bullsie
    13 years ago

I love and grow the andreanum (sp?) type anthuriums. I have put them in s/h culture and they went wild with it. I also use Miracle-gro for orchids potting mix.

• rexedwardfairy
    12 years ago

Great, great, GREAT posts everyone - thanks for all the terrific information.

• Rosalovely
    9 years ago

What is s/h culture? I'm trying to get my anthuriums to bloom again.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I'm an orchid grower and live in Florida, received a Anthurium as a gift two years ago. I loved the color of the 'flower' which was a rose pink.

It was growing out of its pot and I quickly repotted in Miracle Gro and 1/2 orchid bark (small bark.) Unfortunately, I never researched the plant. Life was busy, we were moving into a new house. I placed the plant on a bench in strong East sun with my orchids under some shade cloth.

I have been amazed at the growth and flowering. I do not have brown leaves and had no idea it was in the orchid family. It has outgrown its new pot and I plan to repot this spring. Your post is so informative, I am saving it.

Thank you so much for the information.

Jane

• tys_bus
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Steve,

I received an Anthurium two months ago as a gift. I should say I did not know how to take care of Anthurium until reading your post. It looks like my plant invaded by fungus. The end of the leaves turned brown and some leaves have yellow dots. My orchid plants also had the same problem. Can I use your cinnamon treatment on my orchid as well?

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

You are showing two different plants. The bottom picture is an orchid and should be treated differently. Your first picture is Anthurium.

Jane

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    8 years ago

TYS - Your issue (first pic) is related to soil saturation, not a fungal infection.

Al

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Guys,...I have some very bad news for you.

It saddens me to say that Steve is no longer with us.

He passed away january 13th 2011.

Link to the thread where I found out

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

It shows that it was posted yesterday. Are you sure you are talking about the same person? The posts about it on Daves Garden go back to 2011. Why would this post show as posted yesterday?

Very disturbing, I hope you are wrong.

Jane

• tys_bus
    8 years ago

Sorry, my mistake. I did not see when the message was posted. However, thank you so much for your helpful posting. I will re-pot my flower soon after I received the wood chip I ordered.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    8 years ago

Tys,I just wish the news I brought was better. Steve is sorely missed. From what I remember reading in posts of way back,..cinnamon is safe for orchids as well.

"Very disturbing, I hope you are wrong."

But Jane,..you already knew.

You were the first to respond to Toni(birdsnblooms) on this thread.

I don't fault you for forgetting though. Losing him was heartbreaking.

I only found out yesterday while searching the web for info on him and then I found that thread on DG.

I found the link I posted just above while I was searching GW to find out whether I'd had any conversations with him myself. I want to believe that at some point I had,but so far I haven't been able to find anything.