teengardener1888

Purpleinopp and Other South Gardeners

teengardener1888
9 years ago

Did that harsh winter kill any tropicals, I was wondering a bit

Comments (4)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I'm in the South, but all mine stay inside year-round. Did you lose anything Teen? I remember reading you left your 'Bird's Nest Fern' at your school and it faired well. I'm sure your 'Spider Plants' are still chugging along. :)

Planto

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    had a warmer than normal winter in my area .
    Heres a pic of two Phal orchids that I put on a cassia tree last sept. I bought them for two bucks from Walmarts "death chamber" Surprised they lived let alone flowered obviously the above normal winter gary

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Hey, TG. My plants come inside too, but a large mini garden had to stay outside. Surprisingly, more than half of the little succulents in that are still alive. I was very glad my Persian shield shrubs in the ground survived. Most sources say they're only hardy to Z9+ but, being from OH, "still alive at the roots" is more than fine with me. That's a maintenance-free shrub. After about 5 years which included last years' awful winter, I'm calling them hardy here, just not evergreen.

Around the area, I've seen some dead Cycads, palm trees, and Photinia shrubs.

We moved at the end of April, so some of the marginally hardy stuff I had outside may or may not still be alive, IDK. I didn't try to dig up Caladiums or Curcuma since they were still dormant and I wasn't sure I wouldn't slice into them while trying to excavate, so I just left them there. A jasmine shrub still looked dead or dormant when we moved, I left that too.

There's some Aspidistra across the street that looks terrible but it's still alive.

Surprisingly, some dragon wing Begonias survived in my Mom's yard. The next time I buy some of those, I may put them in the ground.

Unfortunately the harsher than usual conditions had no effect on the stupid asparagus ferns in Mom's yard. I dug those up about a month or 2 ago.

• subtropix
    9 years ago

I thought my Aspidistra was dead, but now it is shooting lots of new leaves. I thought by Bay laurels were dead, dead, dead, but now they are regrowjng from the roots, same with the fig tree. Crape Myrles that were big and established were fine but I lost a few, smaller recently planted ones. I lost a few Windmill palms, but Sabal minor and Needle palm were fine. Loquats were hit hard but even some of these are regrowjng from the roots. No problems with...dwarf pomegranate, Yucca gloriosa, Photinia (more subtropical than 'tropical'). Nandina looked dead and was covered with a glacial by February, now is fine and par with last year. My Aucuba was fine but many looked blasted in the Spring. No problems with any of the Magnolias, Taxodium, or Metasequoia (but again, these are not really 'tropical'). Eucalyptus was killed.

Still, what a dreadful Winter it was!!

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz